Study: Average Gamer is Overweight, Depressed

Status
Not open for further replies.

strangestranger

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
OMFG, run for the hills.

The above idea will not only get some people fresh air and exercise but also help meet like minded people and give some hope for their future.

Now, where's my cheque?

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I knew they were going to use the Southpark WoW guy when I read the headline.

Good thing I don't fit the profile of a fat depressed gamer. In shape and perfectly happy guy, of course I actually quit WoW two years ago and got my life back.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
umm
if i play WoW it would be at work where i spend most of the time in front of a computer..
i dont see myself playing a game for more than 30 minute straight if i can make it to 30 minutes

mcnuggetofdeath

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Isn't Seattle already home to a fairly high suicide rate. Seems more like a pre existing issue with the local populace than a reflection on gamers in general. In the same way you'd expect someone in New England to enjoy seafood, or someone down here in Texas to enjoy the countryside.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I don't believe anything MSNBC reports or trust Government funded research. The test subjects live in the rainy city of Seattle; from what I have read in the past, Seattle has the largest depression rate in the country due to the cloudy and rainy weather. Also, most depressed people are overweight because they eat because of the feelings of emptiness and boredom. Most likely the test group was already depressed and use video games as an escape. The study should have been, "Are video games a healthy outlet for people with depression."

telim

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Correlation does not equal casuation. I can't believe this was published in a real journal.

Above poster is right; the average american is probably ~35, overweight or obese, and 'occasionally depressed'. If they could show gaming somehow made this worse...by all means...show us.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Isn't the obesity rate in the US around 33%? If one in every three people is supposedly fat is it really a surprise that the "average gamer" is fat? If the obesity rate keeps climbing the average American is going to be considered fat in just a few years.

It also seems the study is a bit misleading. They only asked people in a certain area, didn't ask nearly enough people, and didn't ask anyone under the age of 18. Sounds like the "study" was to designed to get the results they wanted.

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Do they specify what kind of games they play? Because if it's MMO RPGs like WoW, I have no trouble believing it. If it includes FPSs and fighters, though, then the demographic is probably younger and healthier than they're leading on, since it has a more limited appeal.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
American gamer? No, Seattle-area gamer. The Pacific Northwest gets fifty inches of fog per year, nevermind the rain. I believe it is the home of the planet's only deciduous rainforest. With that much gloom, of course depression rates are higher.
This study (and/or the reporting about it) is horrifically flawed. Subjects over a wide geographic area must be included in order to have any hope of realistically linking any conclusions exclusively to gaming.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Oh, checking the link for the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, I was unable to find this particular article. I wanted to check to see how they setup their control group, and so on. In my brief browsing, I found another study they did that basically concluded "If you're a rock climber, you're more likely to break your leg."

These guys are really doing excellent research out there! /sarcasm.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Bah.. I don't believe it for a second...

Now.. where did a put that Hot Pocket.. Oh, there it is, under the empty bag of Doritos. Let me just reach for that.... OH DAMMIT! I spilled my Red Bull all over my Hot Pocket! Why Me! WHY! I hate my life... I should just end it all!!

Oh wait, Hot Pockets come two to a package.. I'm good...

Now, close the door when you leave.. I can't have any outside distractions while I try to level up my character... GO AWAY!!

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Lmao im a hardcore pc gaming and im 15 and perfect weight so HAHAHA im not average.. and im sure the hell an't depressed i love life :p

Status
Not open for further replies.