Study: Chinese Cyber-Threat is 'Rudimentary'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Yes, if you look at Chinese history and what they have going on right now, people shouldn't really feel threatened. 99% of wars that happened in China was civil. Meaning, they fought wars among themselves for control. Hell, they built the LARGEST wall. Walls are for defensive measures, not offensive. Now, they have the biggest firewall. Anyone notice repetition?

The only thing I would fear is if the Chinese population got out of control and China suddenly felt the urge to acquire more land, but what you have to take into account is that China has THE most strict population control law in the planet. One child per family. Which would reduce their population in half.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]Funny thing, that claim that China will be behind us for several decades. I just read a book published in 2010 that they were catching up with us so quickly that by the end of THIS decade, we're going to be behind them in finances, computer technology, and robotics. They have twice the number of jets that we do, and while they are inferior, they can be made into UAV's and could beat ours by simple numbers. It's scary stuff going on.[/citation]

I don't know where you get your info from but the US has more F-16's (just f16s) the the whole PLA airfroce has combat aircraft. Not to mention tactics are far more important then numbers. China is very good at stealing info...not so good at using said info. Our kill ratio alone would mean that our f-
15s and f22s could take out that whole airforce. They are cavemen with free labor....Japan would make China its bitch...South Korea would ass rape China. IF China was to go to war with the US, not only would it be over in a day due to our FAR Superior tactics and equipment. A more likely outcome would total economic failure within the month with out us even firing a shot back at them. I don't need to buy a Ipad to survive...the need me to buy an Ipad to survive. Come out of the cellar, the end is not near.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]I have to agree there, they historically have appeared aggressive it seem to be more of the defensive and a negotiation tactic style aggression rather than real threats. As long as their government don't get backed into a corner i think they wont be the first aggressors.[/citation]
I think that a large part of the reason people fear China's rise is because of their government. If China had a democracy similar to Korea or Japan then it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

brothermist

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I don't know where a lot of you come up with your "information", but most of it is just plain wrong. Also, from both a military and a financial standpoint... a war with China is a war the USA can not win. Yeah, we may take a few battles, but the war, no chance. You can try to argue it any way you see fit, but its reality that we can not win that war. Hell, if it weren't for China's loans we'd already be finished as a country as is. This "we are #1, no one can take us" mentality is going to be the death of the USA. You can only bully the world for so long before someone puts you in your place. Hopefully we learn our lessons before that comes to be. Stop worrying about who's country has a bigger pecker, and realize we all have to live on this rock together or we are going to destroy our ability to live here at all.

Pyree

Distinguished
@liquidchild

Wiki "Korean war" and "American debt" and find out where they borrow their money.
Why so war hawk? War is not a game and it is not good for anyone.
And it is funny how some people forgot that they used to hate Japanese and China waste USA's biggest allie in Asia. And now look, some people just have general haterd towards China.
Media brainwash? Why people insist on making though enemy? There is already enough war in the world we know.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]@liquidchildWiki "Korean war" and "American debt" and find out where they borrow their money.Why so war hawk? War is not a game and it is not good for anyone.And it is funny how some people forgot that they used to hate Japanese and China waste USA's biggest allie in Asia. And now look, some people just have general haterd towards China.Media brainwash? Why people insist on making though enemy? There is already enough war in the world we know.[/citation]

He wasn't advocating war, he was making the point that in terms of military might, China will not be able to challenge the US (and presumably NATO) for a very long time and thus they won't.

Anyway though, I WANT China to take over as the leading superpower. I'm sick of what being on top has done to this country. Bring on the 30 hour work weeks, the fine cheeses, wines, and beers of Europe! Bring on smart urban planning and a population that cares more about living a happy life than their BS job!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]hopiamani[/nom]The more people innovating the better for everybody right? If someone in France creates a drug to cure cancer, Americans with Cancer in California will benefit right? When we invented the internet, didnt the entire world benefit?[/citation]
That only applies if the country creating these inventions is into sharing, and China seems to like keeping their toys to themselves.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
China could pretty much sink any country today by economical means alone, usa have a huuuge debt to china. How much money per us citizen are borrowed now?

Pyree

Distinguished
@greatsaltedone

It is just that liquidchild talks about kill ratio and stuff like that as if they are just number, not realising that number is actually made of human lives.

And the comment "They are cavemen with free labor....Japan would make China its bitch...South Korea would ass rape China." is insulting.

Caveman with free labour- stereotype. I know China has a big population and the labour condition is bad and the pay is low. But don't insult the worker. They work hard to make their money and they are making stuff for us.

"Japan would make China its bitch...South Korea would ass rape China." Wasn't that what USA was trying to avoid during WWII? (give you a hint, Japan invade other Asian country, e.g. Korea and use man from other country to invade China for Japan.) Saying that is just like saying that Germany will start the holocaust again (no offence, I am just making a point here and I think holocaust is completely evil). Just because China is now a communist nation doesn't give you the right to be so insensitive. Many people living in that country still remembers the horror of the invasion.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I disagree. I think China is a very serious threat with one of the most developed cyber-warfare capabilities of any country. China has not just been attacking the US alone, oh no. Just recently Japanese government and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries found out that many of their machines were infected, with data removal traced to China.

Then there's also the discovery of many Japanese embassies around the world that were infected with a backdoor that communicated transmissions back to, guessed where, China.

From my standpoint of history and political views, I'm just disappointed at the spineless response by the US government in recent years. When Japan armed herself and sought influence in the 30's the US was more than happy to apply all kinds of sanctions and threats, eventually causing the war. Why such a weak response against a much bigger threat, 70 years later?

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Manufacture not design. If the US and Japan pulled our manufacturing out of China and placed them in another country. The factories and equipment left behind in China would quickly become obsolete and so would the tech they would try to produce.[/citation]We could probably debate this ad nauseam, however I believe it would be naive of us to think they don't know how to reverse engineer our stuff and improve upon it. Simply playing the numbers game you know that out of 1.4B people there has to be quite a substantial portion (even 1% of 1.4B is a big number) that is intelligent and that is being heavily educated.[/citation]

How about the fact our defense planes have chips in them from China with known exploits engineered in that can shut them down remotely?

Or that China shot a satelitte out of orbit when such testing is banned? (No space warfare allowed under UN agreement)

Or that it takes months to find some of these hacks?

Or that major defense contractors were hacked after the#1 used defense two part authentication keys were stolen?

How about the probing of our power grid system?

Or that fact that China doesn't give a *&($#@ about copyrights, or patents and sells cheap knockoffs?

Or that fact their newest stealth fighter looks just like our JSF when it took years for us to develop?

Or their agressive nature towards tiawan?

Or China's tiananmen square?

The take over of tibet and forced sterilzation of it's native people to reduce resistance?

The out right kidnapping and jailing of disadents?

Or how the death rate of inmates is alarming, and that a great source of China's organs (which they sell) come from jail?

It's not the people I fear. It's the damn commi government. THEY CAN NOT BE TRUSTED.

Our digital pearl harbor is coming. Mark my words.

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Add to the list:
The war with google censorship started when a political chairmen discovered how easy it was to google negative information on himself in china

They hacked major oil companies to gain an unfair advantage of potential oil fields

Or China the #1 populated country on the planet. They far outnumber us and they are craving limited resources.

The #1 cause of war: lack of adequate resources to go around.

China's growth is MUCH too rapid. They have gained so much power yet posses no ethics.

Do you really think we can trust their *($#@!. F'em all.

Pyree

Distinguished
@eddieroolz

because both country possess ICBM with nuclear warhead?

A full out war means total destruction.

A war between big nations (not limited to USA and China) in this time and age is only war hawk's wet dream.

G

I am in China at the moment but originally from Europe. The country is great and some parts of it are at the technological level of something like France.

Shanghai is ultra modern well exceeding something like London. The infrastructure is amazing. They have the biggest high speed train network in the world. And they use the same trains as the Germans.

The copyright thing is not entirely true. Where I live you cant just buy illegal copies on the streets but you can find places if you look for them.

G

Let's think about this for a few minutes.
Put yourself in the position of a country (China for example) that is seriously considering cyber warfare/espionage/sabotage ... whatever.
What would you likely do?
(1) Create a "team" that deliberately uses out of date methods, that are easily detected.
Rest of world reacts: Ah, no threat. These guys will take decades to catch up
(2) Create another (covert) team that does the real hacking.
With all the attention focused on Team (1), Team (2) goes undetected.

Come on, basic Bourne technique.

squidz66

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
From my standpoint of history and political views, I'm just disappointed at the spineless response by the US government in recent years. When Japan armed herself and sought influence in the 30's the US was more than happy to apply all kinds of sanctions and threats, eventually causing the war. Why such a weak response against a much bigger threat, 70 years later?

Spineless indeed! What really fucks me off is people who are willing to ride into a debate with stupid ill informed posts such as
When Japan armed herself and sought influence in the 30's the US was more than happy to apply all kinds of sanctions and threats, eventually causing the war
...The war that was going on for two years prior to Pearl Harbour! Two whole years and millions of lives whilst America watches and chooses a side..

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Manufacture not design. If the US and Japan pulled our manufacturing out of China and placed them in another country. The factories and equipment left behind in China would quickly become obsolete and so would the tech they would try to produce.[/citation]We could probably debate this ad nauseam, however I believe it would be naive of us to think they don't know how to reverse engineer our stuff and improve upon it. Simply playing the numbers game you know that out of 1.4B people there has to be quite a substantial portion (even 1% of 1.4B is a big number) that is intelligent and that is being heavily educated.[/citation]

1% of 1.4B intelligent people. I think that the Chinese government should be the ones that should be afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.