Studying abroad. Need help finding a laptop.

HollowLord

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Good day. I am currently looking for a good notebook for me to bring to college. The requirements is listed below.

1. My budget.
- Around 1000 USD or 1100 CAD. It is possible to add around 500 USD for a longer lasting notebook.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
- I am looking for what is referred as Ultrabook. Portable and strong, and not too small. Maybe with screen size around 14" to 15.6".

3. Screen resolution?
- I'll take whatever I can get. If I can get a HD one, that's even better.

4.Portable/Desktop Replacement?
- I do not really know the difference, but I thing desktop replacement, because I couldn't bring my desktop with me to college.

5. Battery life?
- 3+ hour would be appreciated.

6. Do you want to play games with your notebook? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
- Definitely. Maybe Dishonored in Medium setting, or Minecraft on Good Enough to Very Good Setting? It's not that important though.

7. Other task I'll do with the notebook?
- Photoshop. Definitely.

8. Storage capacity?
- Around 500GB HDD or an SSD would be appreciated, though I could always use an external.

9. How long do I want to keep my notebook?
- Years. I would expect it to last at least the 5 years I spend at school and some.

10. What kind of Optical Drive do I need?
- Nothing necessary.

11. The brands I like, the brands I hate, and the reasons.
- I do not know. I usually use my desktop. I have one ASUS N46V for 2 years, and work quite good. I will leave the decision of what's good and not to you readers. I think the community will be more informed than me.

12. Where do I live?
- I will go to Canada for my study.

13. What additional detail I would want?
- My notebook will be used mainly for word processing, browsing, medium gaming, movies and music. I'll be moving to Canada late August, so I think I can wait. I might even buy the notebook there. Also, I am not a Mac person.

Thank you for the assistance. I might update this thread if I found some additional details/change.