Solved! Sub-$850 recommendation

DogpawSlim

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
1. What is your budget?
$850 max.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6" only.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080p, ideally.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, but I have no problems with a 6.5lb laptop right now.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I'm always near an outlet...4 hours of word processing.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I don't play games often, but I do want a dedicated graphics card. Anything high end would be wasted on me.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I'm mostly a word processor, some audio/video consumption, occasional games.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
No preference. I would be fine with 128gb SSD, but probably can't afford it.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
NA

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
5 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't need Bluray.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm looking at the HP dv6t, Asus k53e, and Lenovo z570 and Thinkpad Edge.

My requirements are i5 or better, dedicated graphics card, and high build quality (build quality is a big one). The HD screen would be a huge bonus, but not a requirement. Most of my usage will be word processing and internet, but I want long term viability. I plan on dual booting Windows 7 and KDE Linux.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

Solution
Hello DogpawSlim;

At the top end of your budget range: HP Pavilion dv6 Select Edition $850
Core i5-2410M CPU, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 15.6" 1920x1080 anti-glare LCD w/ Radeon HD 6490 (or maybe HD 7490?). Right now HP is only saying "1GB Discrete GDDR5 Graphics AMD Radeon" graphics card.
The only other optional part you might want to consider is the optional upgrade to Bluetooth ($15).
Going with the standard 15.6" 1366x768 resolution will save $150.
Hello DogpawSlim;

At the top end of your budget range: HP Pavilion dv6 Select Edition $850
Core i5-2410M CPU, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 15.6" 1920x1080 anti-glare LCD w/ Radeon HD 6490 (or maybe HD 7490?). Right now HP is only saying "1GB Discrete GDDR5 Graphics AMD Radeon" graphics card.
The only other optional part you might want to consider is the optional upgrade to Bluetooth ($15).
Going with the standard 15.6" 1366x768 resolution will save $150.

Solution