Sudden cooling fan at full speed

Dallas84

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I was wondering about this but when I got my new computer few days before thanksgiving a week later my computer all of the sudden had the cooling fan full power for many hours even it was on the desktop and running no programs. I rebooted my computer and then the fan ran like normal. After that for a long time this never happened again but yesterday it happened again and just rebooting fixed the problem. I just hope my notebook is perfectly fine but is my system defective? This doesn't happen like once a week or so but it happened again after 4 months later. I don't know if it will happen again but I just wanted to make sure that my computer is ok.

Brand/model? It could be a faulty fan controller or it could be a software issue. Try heading to the laptop manufacturer's support site and updating the chipset, mobo, etc.. drivers to see if that helps. Depending on the brand, have you found anything else on the Internet in regard to other owners having the same issue? If it continues after the software update, get in touch with the manufacturer and send it in to be looked at under the guise of the 1 year factory warranty (should be free).

Dallas84

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
My notebook is a Sony VPC-EB3QFX. I know that I had this problem once after a week of use and then it happened again in 4 months later. This doesn't happen like that often but it seems like it happens so I would assume that in the future it would happen again. I don't see in google that shows someone that has had this problem. I wonder if it's the software or so. Since if doesn't happen like everyday or happen once a week.

Dallas84

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I thought that there were others that had this kind of thing happening to there notebook so I was wondering if they new anything about it. But I did e-mail tech support so I hope they will know why it's doing this. But if anyone here knows what it could be please let me know. Thank You

Dallas84

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
As usualy Sony doesn't really know much so all they say is things like use the system restore or use Sony Vaio care program etc. If there is someone that really knows about this problem I would really appreciate it if they could tell me if my computer will be ok the way it is or not. Thanks

Typical support person. No matter the company, you'll get that. If you want to try again, give them a call and ask to speak with a supervisor. If they do not know, they can put you in touch with someone higher up who knows what they are talking about.

Perhaps someone else can chime in who has experienced the same issue here in the coming days to help you along. I'll let you know if I find anything out about it.