Sudden FPS and performance loss PLEASE HELP FAST

Shortstop34

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
I have had my ASUS i7 Geforce 750M notebook laptop for a while and have had very little problems with it. Recently, I have had a sudden loss in performance after a crash from an open beta game. I used to be able to handle many games, such as (league of legends, csgo, gmod, dirty bomb) on high or medium settings easily with 60+ fps. Now, I can barely handle low on some games. Ingame, I will be doing fine, then suddenly my fps goes form 120-20 in a second and then slowly rises back up. I've checked my core temps and it doesnt rise or fall hat much especially if I havent been on for very long. After the crash I got an error code in my nvidia driver (stop code 43) and it took me a while to fix but Im not convinced that my comp is fixed and I would like some help. Since then, I have had performance problems in restarting, fps, graphics, nvidia drivers, and often my fans will go up to 100% and be pretty loud even tho core temps are low. Please help. Solutions would be helpful, and I would like to avoid the "just get a new laptop". thanks
If I could an answer as fast as possible that would be great. If this is unclear or you have more questions let me know below!

Solution
Reapplying thermal compound will do very little to help out your situation. Thermal compound's main purpose is to provide better contact between the surfaces of the cpu/gpu and the heatsink. Thermal compound itself has no cooling property; it simply helps to conduct the heat to a different media (the metal heatsink). Not to mention, taking apart your notebook may lead to accidentally causing unintended issues, further complicating matters.

If you had exposed your gpu to such long periods of time under high temp conditions, it might not actually be in that great of a shape. To begin with, a laptop generally has very poor heat dissipating mechanisms. Notebooks were not designed for gaming and will stand little chance against long periods...

LowlySkeleton

Estimable
Aug 5, 2015
Although your cpu temps might be fine, this might not be true of the gpu temps. Typically, gpus will thermal throttle when they get too hot, in an attempt to save themselves from permanent damage. This appear to be what is happening with your laptop; the gpu will work fine until it thermal throttles, reducing its performance and causing a dip in fps. It would make sense that it would ramp back up again once it has cooled down while throttling. This is also probably why your fans are running at 100%.

Just hearing the word "notebook" mentioned in the name, I would feel very hesitant in gaming on that system; it probably wasn't designed to game for extended periods of time.

Shortstop34

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

So would u think reapplying thermal paste would help? Because I used to be able to handle high settings for extended periods, but since the crash my settings had to be lowered, Im still suspecting damage to the nvidia graphics but my computer shows nothing so should I just reapply thermal paste until then?

LowlySkeleton

Estimable
Aug 5, 2015
Reapplying thermal compound will do very little to help out your situation. Thermal compound's main purpose is to provide better contact between the surfaces of the cpu/gpu and the heatsink. Thermal compound itself has no cooling property; it simply helps to conduct the heat to a different media (the metal heatsink). Not to mention, taking apart your notebook may lead to accidentally causing unintended issues, further complicating matters.

If you had exposed your gpu to such long periods of time under high temp conditions, it might not actually be in that great of a shape. To begin with, a laptop generally has very poor heat dissipating mechanisms. Notebooks were not designed for gaming and will stand little chance against long periods of time at high temps. Although, it isn't rare to find 2017 "gaming" notebooks with actual mid-high end desktop gpus inside. Those notebooks would be designed for gaming, as they have much better cooling solutions. You notebook sports a Geforce 750M, which is a mobile gpu that is at the high end of entry-lv gpus.

If you really HAVE TO game on that notebook, I would suggest playing at lower settings and maybe purchase some sort of a cooling pad, attachable vent cooling device, to attempt to lower the temps just a little.

Solution