Sudden Headphone and Earbud Imbalance in Desktop

Dec 2, 2018
Hi all,

I just managed to find a snag in my audio: my hyperx cloud stinger is about 1.5 years old now and all of a sudden the left headphone became extremely quiet. Trying the left right balance basically didn't change the volume level for it, but the right one did change. The strange thing starts when I was wrong that it was because I had been transporting it around (in its box, but still) frequently. I think it might be the desktop itself because I tried my earbuds and at first it was fine, but then the opposite was true: the RIGHT earbud (not headphone) was grossly quiet and unresponsive to volume changes, then the left one was generally much louder.

I did make a driver swap using Realtek, and an Nvidia driver update too, but after I noticed the problem. Didn't help. I'm going to go out on a limb that maybe the problem with the earbuds was caused by one of the driver updates but I don't know. I'm using windows 10, and I'm not totally sure what could have started the problem. There aren't any serious cuts or twists or anything in either of the cords for the headset or earbuds. I haven't done a de-dusting in quite a bit too, but looking inside the intestines I see practically 0 dust. Reuplugging the headset and rotating the jack doesn't do anything either that I can tell. I'm a bit worried at this point. Any ideas?

Dec 2, 2018
It appears that a combination of Windows update, re-plugging and un-plugging the mic and playback jacks, and reinstalling Realtek's driver. I'm going to guess it was mostly the windows update since I'd been messing around with Realtek's driver and Microsoft's default driver before the Windows update.