Question Sudden loud static from surround system

Dec 9, 2020
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX receiver with Harman Kardon surround speakers. It all works well except once in a while the sound changes suddenly to VERY LOUD static noise. I have to turn off the receiver and it goes back to normal when I turn it back on. It probably happened only 3 times in the last month but, besides the fact that it scares the hell out of me every time, I think the neighbors don't like it either. Any idea? Thank you.

Dec 9, 2020
No power outage. The audio source comes from the TV through an optical connection. Inputs to the TV are either from streaming (Netflix, Prime or Disney +) or cable (Spectrum). The cable comes from a splitter as the cable modem is on the same wall cable outlet.
Thanks.

Dec 9, 2020
I decided to buy a new one. This unit is 17 years old and even though it looks terrific, it doesn't have today's technology (no HDMI connection for example). I bought a Yamaha TSX700 from Costco, it's a good deal right now ($329). What should I do with the old receiver? Can it be recycled?

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
I decided to buy a new one. This unit is 17 years old and even though it looks terrific, it doesn't have today's technology (no HDMI connection for example). I bought a Yamaha TSX700 from Costco, it's a good deal right now ($329). What should I do with the old receiver? Can it be recycled?

It is always recyclable, just got to know where to take it in your area.