Suggest me ways to fill up my Free Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
What is amazing with computers that is actually legal?

Please, give serious answers. I want something related to Computers, Raspberry PIs or other electronics. Maybe I could do some nice projects that would actually be useful and not pointless.

Thank you.

Solution
Unity, Blender, Unreal Engine.....all free to download and there are tons of guides on 'how-to' and getting started videos to give you some ideas.

Work on your ninja Office/App skills.......it is highly useful in the general job market, and I can't tell you how many times I come across college graduates that still have no real clue how to use Excel and Word (to their useful, productive potential). Publisher and Powerpoint too.....or all of these open source equivalents (say if you don't have or don't want to purchase MS Office.....which is totally understandable).

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

Sorry for being weird, but coding is really not my thing unless you give me a good reason why I should learn it. Maybe something cool I could make out of it?

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

You could make a living out of it.

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

What about personal use?

dexxterlab97

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016

Make a program calculating how much free time you have wasted. Using C. There.

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

:D

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
Unity, Blender, Unreal Engine.....all free to download and there are tons of guides on 'how-to' and getting started videos to give you some ideas.

Work on your ninja Office/App skills.......it is highly useful in the general job market, and I can't tell you how many times I come across college graduates that still have no real clue how to use Excel and Word (to their useful, productive potential). Publisher and Powerpoint too.....or all of these open source equivalents (say if you don't have or don't want to purchase MS Office.....which is totally understandable).

Solution

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

What programs would you recommend for beginners to use as video editing software? I had some experience with three video editing programs such as the Movie Maker, VSDC, and Vegas

I assume Blender can be used for animations and video editing, correct?

dexxterlab97

Respectable
Jul 4, 2016

Adobe After Effects

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

I am not paying for experiments.

Forever Oleg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

I have tried Unity before.

Definitely gonna try to learn Blender. It looks like a really cool thing. Wanted to pick it up earlier but had too much school work.

Geekwad

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015

I have been using Adobe (Premier Pro) for so long that I'm sort of biased in that direction. If it is within your means to afford the $50/mo subscription for Adobe, I would say it's well well worth it. The complete suite has every tool you'd ever want or need (just about), and I can make a meaningful case that a full and complete education can be derived from owning/renting it, working through Adobe's tutorials and exercises, and expanding from there.

(((EDIT: And I mean like real-world, ready for employment-type education in 1-2 years, if you're truly dedicated to learning and have the discipline to organize and teach yourself. Throw in 'MS Office ninja' and 'I understand basic networking and what database organization is', and you're hire-able.......no costly student loans required :) )))

That said, I think Vegas is a fine tool. It is complicated for a beginner, but if you've already has some experience with it and plan to use it more regularly and are dedicated to learning deeper functionalities (not just a casual user....there are better tools for grandma-video-editing), then I think that's as good a place as any to go back to.

Status
Not open for further replies.