Suggest some good ND filter and lens adapter

jnturja

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
Ok, I've got a Nikon D5300 and I need some decent ND filters which are relatively cheap. And I want to use a lens adapter to test the canon lenses my friends have got in my nikon.

Could you please tell me how well the adapter will work and which one will be quite good but inexpensive??

Solution

Absolutely the worst possible idea. Instead, get a pair of RealD 3D glasses and use the "lenses" on two UV filter screwed in. If you want variable ND without polarization, make sure the quarter wave plates are facing away from the center of the pseudo ND. It should be good for ~3-8 stops. In fact, most variable ND filters use this same method, with much better quality components of course.
1) It's a stupid move getting Nikon if all your friends have Canon lenses. Return the camera if possible and get a T6s/i.
2) Lens adapters are for experienced users, you will have no aperture or focus control. Don't bother if this is your first camera
3) What size ND and what strength? What lenses do you need filters for and what shutter speeds are you looking to get?
4) In general, try Hoya/Kenko HMC filters, they tend to be cheap but do very well in tests and real world application.

jnturja

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016

1.Not all my friends have canon lenses and I'm not that stupid to buy a nikon when all my friends have canon. I just want to test canon glasses in my nikon to see what kind of picture they produce.
2. I need variable ND filters of 52mm and 58mm for my video works in the daylight.

1) Not worth it, if you want to see what video they produce ask for samples.
2) You have two options:
a) Buy only 58mm filters and use a stepdown ring
b) buy one filter per lens

If possible b) is the better option, since you won't have to deal with swapping filters around. For f2.8 wide open in bright sunlight (kit lenses are usually 3.5-5.6) you'll need http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1012346-REG/hoya_xpd_58nd64_58mm_pro_nd_64x.html, though if you shoot F4 @ 60Hz with 180degree shutter you can use a 4 stop ND instead.

jnturja

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016

Thanks for your information but I was looking for some VARIABLE ND filters and the links you've given are fixed.

1) You NEVER STATED THAT! If you're going to ask a question, don't suddenly change the topic.
2) Variable filters are MUCH more expensive, unless you absolutely need one just learn how to use ND filters
3) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765513-REG/Heliopan_705890_58mm_Vario_Neutral_Density.html <-- that will work
4) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/903364-REG/cokin_ch150b58a_58mm_pure_harmonie_variable.html <- might work with some image degradation

jnturja

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016

Alright, I don't want to fight with you but just to clarify myself, I quote this one. And thanks for the information. You are really good when you give suggestion to people.

Absolutely the worst possible idea. Instead, get a pair of RealD 3D glasses and use the "lenses" on two UV filter screwed in. If you want variable ND without polarization, make sure the quarter wave plates are facing away from the center of the pseudo ND. It should be good for ~3-8 stops. In fact, most variable ND filters use this same method, with much better quality components of course.

Solution