Suggestions for an HD TV that's good for gaming and has no input lag?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Twario

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Believe it or not, I'm one of the few people that still has an SD TV in his room. It's an 'esa' brand TV from the early 2000s, it's huge and it takes up a lot of space. Even though it's been great to me through the years, I think it's time to get a replacement.

But I'm trying to be really careful this time before buying one, since I've had a bad experience with an HD TV a long ago. So basically, years ago my parents bought me an HDTV, the picture looked good but it had horrible input lag whenever I played games on it. I wasn't having this so instead of returning it they put it in the living room which replaced the 'esa' TV which is the one I have now.

So what I want is suggestions for a good flatscreen TV that is best for gaming. What attributes of the TV do I have to look at to know if it'll have input lag or not? My budget is about $300-800 but I'm willing to go a little higher. Also, I don't want it to be too big, keep in mind that this TV will be in a bedroom that's kind of small.

Solution
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/#participants-list

from my experience and what's been said by others; the less features it has, the less likely it'll suffer from input lag, so while there are plenty of SMART TVs or 3D TVs with low input lag in recent years, i'd avoid them if you're more into gaming and just want simple and casual video viewing at most. options like a Game or PC Mode may or may not result in significant input lag reduction.

if this is for consoles, we can stop there. if we're talking about PC gaming, then you'd may want to check up on picture quality & 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling support; http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381724/official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread

one other problem you may face using a TV as PC...

Twario

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

Well it isn't bad to the point of being unbearable. But I did notice an option if you go into the Wii settings, it says "TV resolution". There's two options, one is "EDTV or HDTV (480p)" and the other is "Standard TV (480i)". I can only select the standard one, it won't let me pick the other option. Getting the component would unlock the other option right? Is the change in definition noticeable? Because if it is, I might get those cables eventually. I wanna play Metroid Prime in widescreen without it looking like ass.

Hazle

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
yes, you'd need a component cable to enable the option. it was an improvement from composite, though i went with some cheap third-party cables that suffered some corrosion, so there's some light static, real noticeable in brighter colors at times. others reported much better results in most cases regardless of brands.

Twario

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I'll get the official one then. I hope it slightly reduces input lag on the Wii, because while it's very playable it could be a tiny bit better. Also the picture is way too dark at times with the old A/V cables from the Wii box. Hope it fixes that too.

Twario

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Another update: while the game mode greatly reduced input lag, there still was a tiny bit left. However, turning off every post-processing feature of the TV fixed it. Now it feels nearly identical in response time to the old SD TV I had before.

EDIT: At least as far as I can tell, still testing it......

EDIT 2: Good enough. This is as good as it's gonna get. At least it's really responsive.