Suggestions for buying a budget (Around $500) Laptop for Virtulization and Gaming?

nshin313

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
Hey all, I'm looking for a 15 inch (or smaller) laptop (around $500) that I can use for learning pen-testing (by virtualizing multiple OSes simultaneously), which will require quite a bit of RAM and Storage, and some casual gaming/video editing (...so i'll need dedicated graphics).

Currently, I have an Early 2011 13" Macbook Pro (specs here), with the only modification being a 120GB SSD replacing the standard 320GB HDD. I'm currently virtualizing my OSes with virtualbox, however, storage space and RAM are just barely sufficient, also the Mac's not a great gaming machine. So my question is: Should I sell my macbook pro and get the Acer Aspire E 15 E5-574G-52QU (or some other machine), which has decent specs for my needs (at least I think), or should I just keep my Macbook and just upgrade the RAM and hard drive? If so, how much do you think my Macbook will sell for? The condition is decent, I replaced it with a new battery a few weeks ago.

Thanks in advance.

cdabc123

Estimable
Jun 9, 2015

what will you be doing in the vms? how many will you run simultaneously? what performance do you want for games? how much video editing?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Laptop General Discussion 6
J Laptop General Discussion 1
B Laptop General Discussion 4
N Laptop General Discussion 1
X Laptop General Discussion 1
N3rdR4ge Laptop General Discussion 1
O Laptop General Discussion 3
G Laptop General Discussion 1
H Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 1
E Laptop General Discussion 8