Super tough trojan, cant remove

selfinflictedbaldness

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
i recently got a trojan virus on my system, not sure how, was not downloading anything, just browsing and mbam popped up a window. next thing i know mbam is blocking svchost.exe from accessing malicious websites. so, i ran a full scan and it found three files, all named c:\windows\svchost.exe. i know that svchost is also a normal windows process file, and im not sure how to go about removing it without crashing my system. when i try to remove it from the quarantine list i can only assume it also removes the vital files my computer needs to run because when i run out of safe mode i bsod. have to do a system restore back to an earlier point or keep it in safe mode. my question is how do i get rid of this virus without getting rid of my important files? i read about a program called combofix, but when i tried using it, got bsod during install.

update: i gave up last night and went for a fresh install, got about half way through and got a system message that the install had failed and gave me the code 0x80070017.

im at my wits end with this dang virus, ive tried avast, avg, exterminate-it, true-sword, mbam, they all have the same result, removing the file and then bsod when out of safemode until i sys restore.

ARGH!!! thanks in advance for any help with this.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
If the above link does not help, I am afraid you need to raise a post in an expert malware removal forum. I do not know if this forum has a devoted section for providing step-by-step guidance.

nikorr

Distinguished

Doesn't help to who?

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

Sorry...please do not mistake the reply. Please note that I did not mean the guide does not help....that guide is very good....

It actually means"even after following the guide, the problem persists..."

Trojan and malware, as we know, are extremely tricky and nasty infections. Some of them can be very hard to detect, which can be a daunting and very difficult task for an average user. I have had some horrific experiences with those nasty infections in the past...touch wood..my systems are infections free in the last 2-3 years.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I am unable to edit the original post at Tom's. Sorry if it duplicates the reply.

Even after following the nice guide given by Nikorr, if your trojan/malware problem still persists, I am afraid you may need a step-by-step guidance/instructions until your infections are removed. You may want to check if this is feasible in this forum.