Surface, W8 Gets BlueStacks, Delivers 750,000 Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
This is really great news for Microsoft. The lack of apps was the only thing I saw as a negative against Win 8 devices and now that's less of an issue.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I still don't know why you need a PRO version of any tablet. All they are good for is checking email, surfing the web, movies, books and light games. Any ol tablet can do this stuff, who does actual work on a tablet???

Not knocking it, I'm glad the option exists. I just struggle to find anything to do on my tablets besides fun and content consumption. I would like a MicroSD slot for more storage however, I think it's a terrible scam that it's not available by default on every single tablet and phone ever made. What a croc of crap that is.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]This is really great news for Microsoft. The lack of apps was the only thing I saw as a negative against Win 8 devices and now that's less of an issue.[/citation]

I thought everyone was saying that since the Surface Pro runs a "real OS" this wouldn't be a problem since it can runn all existing Windows Apps already.

Why would I want to run a scaled down Android App when I could run a full-blown Windows App? I could see a few Apps being used (like messaging) but for the most part there will be a superior Windows version already available.

meltbox360

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
The surface pro runs Windows 7 applications. So this company saying that it has no apps is a total lie. It can run everything Windows 7 could. How are you all missing this?

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]I thought everyone was saying that since the Surface Pro runs a "real OS" this wouldn't be a problem since it can runn all existing Windows Apps already.Why would I want to run a scaled down Android App when I could run a full-blown Windows App? I could see a few Apps being used (like messaging) but for the most part there will be a superior Windows version already available.[/citation]
He was probably thinking of the Win RT.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
The article says Win 8 App store and also mention the MS Surface (not the Pro version). Is the Win RT stables using the Win 8 App store as well? I'm assuming this program is for Win RT users.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
"The Surface Pro is an innovative device, but it has none of the top apps," said BlueStacks CEO Rosen Sharma. "This fixes that and adds a lot of value for buyers." Microsoft's Windows 8 app store currently offers over 35,000 apps
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]The article says Win 8 App store and also mention the MS Surface (not the Pro version). Is the Win RT stables using the Win 8 App store as well? I'm assuming this program is for Win RT users.[/citation]

IT clearly states the Surface Pro, and besides, There is no top apps available for Windows, I mean: Photoshop CS 3,4,5, Sony Vegas, Sound Forge, what the heck is that?
Full internet browsing experiece Firefox, Opera, Chrome, who needs that? adobe flash? useless.
Full Office Suite, Libre Office, WTF?
VLC player, Nero, PowerDVD? everything is on youtube or netflix, right?
Adobe reader, Foxit, OCR scanning. any phone has an app for that.....
no one needs that software and whomever pays 100 to a 1000 dollars is a douche.
/sarcasm

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]victorintelr[/nom]IT clearly states the Surface Pro, and besides[/citation]
They mentioned Surface Tablets at the start, it was only the last quote that mentioned Surface Pro. Given that Win RT runs on the same chip as Android devices, they should be able to make this for both versions and maybe they did, but the author left a lot of questions unanswered.

G

Interesting. I do not have Surface Pro but I do have a Acer Windows 8 tablet (x86). Wonder if this can run on it. Will have to try that later. Just wonder how I can connect to Google Play store to get app like SoundHound?

As for those who wonder why Android app can be useful on x86 tablet, it is because normal software running on desktop mode is a pain to work with without keyboard and mouse. Having said that, I wish Microsoft has given us an option to run "desktop" mode in a window. What I meant is, if I have a 1920x1080 resolution tablet, I wish I could run the desktop in smaller window with size such as 1366x768. The rest of the available screen size, should appear as virtual keyboard and mouse. So that I can type on the virtual keyboard and use the virtual mouse without covering the viewing area of my "desktop". That option, I think, will make the "desktop" mode a lot more useful friendly in a pure touch environment. I guess I could sort of do that by running virtualbox or vmplayer, and resize my virtual keyboard properly at the bottom. But I still need an app that can simulate a virtual mouse.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]This is really great news for Microsoft. The lack of apps was the only thing I saw as a negative against Win 8 devices and now that's less of an issue.[/citation]
You mean tablet or touchscreen Windows 8 devices, surely, as ordinary "desktop" applications or "programs" run to over 6 million going back to the days of DOS
But yeah, scratch off the "limited ecosystem" excuse, not many excuses left now for the haters

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
I remember when all these apps were free as young programmers pushed the boundaries of possible in the new Windows ecosystem, grateful for recognition and the public's use. Then Apple et al come along and create colourful icons and line them all up next to each other and suddenly people are prepared to pay for them. How Microsoft let this opportunity slip through their fingers and only now have they addressed this only they know. The lesson is, call something a shop and people start spending.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]I just struggle to find anything to do on my tablets besides fun and content consumption. I would like a MicroSD slot for more storage however, I think it's a terrible scam that it's not available by default on every single tablet and phone ever made. What a croc of crap that is.[/citation]Just because YOUR tablet can't do more, doesn't mean a Surface Pro can't do real work. Also, about that scam... why'd you fall for it? Did you ever stop and think that if nobody bought devices that lack expandable storage, that they would stop making them? You're yet another sucker that encourages them to continue down this path.

My phone and my tablet both have microSD slots, because I did my homework before I bought anything. Personal responsibility powers... ACTIVATE!

Status
Not open for further replies.