Surprise! 10 Ways iPad 2 Feels Different

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
It's interesting to see that Apple is actually morphing OSX into a more iOS style. It still doesn't change the fact that this is a severely underpowered, mostly useless system. On-Screen keyboards are junk compared to a physical keyboard, it's too big for a pocket, thus it competes with small/thin laptops that can do FAR more than Angry Birds and flash-less websites.

I'm still not sold. I'll save the money I'd waste on this and put it towards something worthwhile.... like a real laptop.

G

"While the video camera does record HD video, the resolution isn’t great."

It either does record video in (an) HD resolution or it doesn't. Or is this some special, Apple kind of HD video with a "not so great" resolution?

aleh1811

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Maybe It's me, but I didn't feel this article targets the demographic group that usually reads this site. I don't consider the color a very important feature, the responsiveness of the screen (And therefore the on-screen keyboard) may be relatively important but there's not any type of real comparison, just the subjective view of a single writer. The "feel" of holding it also is quite subjective and doesn't seem all that relevant either. And I don't see how this tablet works better with people who "are good listeners and good talkers". Is there any feature that would somehow loose practicallity among people who expierience difficulties communicating?

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]aleh1811[/nom]Maybe It's me, but I didn't feel this article targets the demographic group that usually reads this site. I don't consider the color a very important feature, the responsiveness of the screen (And therefore the on-screen keyboard) may be relatively important but there's not any type of real comparison, just the subjective view of a single writer. The "feel" of holding it also is quite subjective and doesn't seem all that relevant either. And I don't see how this tablet works better with people who "are good listeners and good talkers". Is there any feature that would somehow loose practicallity among people who expierience difficulties communicating?[/citation]
Which site are you reading? This is Tom's Guide. Welcome! :)
This was definitely a subjective article, not a benchmark-driven one. You won't find performance testing on Tom's Guide.
I'd love to answer your last question in this comment but I didn't understand it.
The point I was trying to make is that the iPad 2 is more useful both as a "creating" tool and as a "consuming" tool. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for reading.

Rachel Rosmarin

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]markosan[/nom]"While the video camera does record HD video, the resolution isn’t great."It either does record video in (an) HD resolution or it doesn't. Or is this some special, Apple kind of HD video with a "not so great" resolution?[/citation]
It captures 720p video. But when uploaded to Youtube or even played back on the screen of the iPad, the quality isn't great. So, while the resolution is technically 720p, it looks grainy and the camera doesn't respond well in low-light conditions, in my testing experience. I will change the line in the article to reflect that, thanks for the comment.

Rachel

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]It's interesting to see that Apple is actually morphing OSX into a more iOS style. It still doesn't change the fact that this is a severely underpowered, mostly useless system. On-Screen keyboards are junk compared to a physical keyboard, it's too big for a pocket, thus it competes with small/thin laptops that can do FAR more than Angry Birds and flash-less websites.I'm still not sold. I'll save the money I'd waste on this and put it towards something worthwhile.... like a real laptop.[/citation]
There's no way the iPad 2 replaces a laptop in any real way. In what way is the iPad 2 underpowered? I'm wondering what you're comparing it to, and I'm guessing you're comparing it to a laptop. I'm comparing it to netbooks/slates/and smart phones. And I agree with you on the keyboard--that's been my feeling for years, but I do have to say that typing on this onscreen keyboard has been my best on-screen keyboard experience thus far, and I've tried a lot of them. However, I'm not comparing the iPad 2's virtual keyboard to a physical keyboard--that's just not a fair comparison.

Thanks for reading,
Rachel

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Maziar[/nom]One thing I like the most about iPad 2 is it's GPU.According to an early preview from anandtech, it's 3-7x faster than iPad 1 and faster than any other tablet on the market today(including Xoom)http://www.anandtech.com/show/4216 [...] enchmarked[/citation]
Hi Maziar,
It definitely feels faster than the iPad 1, and I'm going to compare it to the Xoom today but I have a feeling in most situations the iPad 2 will wipe the floor with it.

whewwhoo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I like how this article is solely based on what we could find out for ourselves by walking into an Apple store. Which is, ironically, what the author seems to have done.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I have the iPad 2 right here with me. What would you like to know? What else should an opinion article be based on other than my experience testing the product?
This is NOT a review.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Dearest Readers,
I just wanted to point you to this article we wrote after testing out the Motorola Xoom--arguably the iPad2's biggest competitor.

If there are specific questions you have about using the Xoom or the iPad 2 please send them our way since we have both units here in the Tom's offices.

We're happy to track down details for you about video formats and viewing experiences, if that's what interests you most, or conduct specific real-life speed tests you might be interested in, including 3G service and speeds (we're in Los Angeles), Wi-Fi speeds, web site page loading/rendering, etc.

Rachel

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Thanks for the article Rachel! I am not sure what people where looking for when reading this article but I think you did a good job of detailing your personal experience with the IPAD2. At this point there should be no surprizes to anyone that the cameras are crap, it seems to be the predominant negative on any article I have read.

I myself am an Apple hater but alas, I recently got hooked into the tablet market and now have my IPAD2 on order (3 weeks). Anyhow one of the things that none of the articles I have read mention when comparing the android and IPAD2 tablets is the one thing that is a game changer for me. I ordered the 16 Gig 3G (ATT) model and I did this because of the flexibility of being able to turn the 3g on and off when I want (like when I go on a vacation). Otherwise, I will just use the WIFI. I think a large percentage of the users are the same way but none of the android tablets offer this or plan to offer this. In other words, if you want and android tablet and the flexibility of 3g, you will have to sign a year long contract. This along with the lower price will continue to keep Apple way ahead of any tablet maker out there.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]It's interesting to see that Apple is actually morphing OSX into a more iOS style. It still doesn't change the fact that this is a severely underpowered, mostly useless system. On-Screen keyboards are junk compared to a physical keyboard, it's too big for a pocket, thus it competes with small/thin laptops that can do FAR more than Angry Birds and flash-less websites.I'm still not sold. I'll save the money I'd waste on this and put it towards something worthwhile.... like a real laptop.[/citation]

This product as well as other tablets are not general purpose computer. That was tried and failed miserably less than 5 years ago. These devices are meant to be really good and convenient and easy to use for certain things. Apple hit the nail on the head by using IOS on this form factor of a device and making it really good at basic things like email and calendering as well as books.

I think this article was spot on. The feeling that was bing conveyed is the so called "magic" that glues people who buy an Apple device to their brand. It is the Industrial engineering and the attention to the really small things that make the difference. Apple's industrial design tend to invoke an emotional feeling because of those small things. If you noticed, she was surprised at how she felt when using it and her complaints where really just her wanting more. A better camera for Facetime and being able to find people who can use Facetime so she can use more facetime. More Apps for the IPad. Better Apps. These are not negative things and are items that tend to improve as new iterations of the product come out.

Overall, good article. Not everything is about technical specs.

cursedwarrior

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I do understand that the Ipad2 is a quiet "magical" tool, and have a different feel , however what i don't expect is that the Tom's hardware review writes so much about "how it feels" "how magical it feels"
we read this review to find out how practical a product is, i will decide if it is magical or not.
i wanted to know, how apple should've improved the product, maybe better safari, better switching between pages (like tabs) ,better speaker (2 speakers if possible) ...etc
thank you for the review

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Wow just wow. You were really scraping the bottom of the barrel on this articale. Really the typing seems better? Its the exact same keyboard on the exact same screen. I type 80wpm on the ipad 1 and i type 80wpm on the ipad 2. It's the same keyboard stop reporting progaganda and get back to the facts. Apple and all other companies decive the customers enough as it is. We turn to toms to get cold hard unbiased facts. Not to read sponsered advert bs reviews. The device had 2 things changed thats it. It's not a new revolutionary device like the first ipad. In my opinion if you don't have one get an ipad 2. If you already have an ipad. Don't bother until you break it. Then sell it on ebay for full price. (Seriosuly they sell for full reatail even with shattered screens.) Then buy an ipad 2. I have yet to see a compelling feature that necessitates an upgrade.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]cursedwarrior[/nom]I do understand that the Ipad2 is a quiet "magical" tool, and have a different feel , however what i don't expect is that the Tom's hardware review writes so much about "how it feels" "how magical it feels"we read this review to find out how practical a product is, i will decide if it is magical or not.i wanted to know, how apple should've improved the product, maybe better safari, better switching between pages (like tabs) ,better speaker (2 speakers if possible) ...etcthank you for the review[/citation]

As author stated.. this is not a review. It is an opinion article. Take value out of what the article is, not what you want it to be. Also, this is a Tom's Guide article, not a Tom's Hardware Guide review. /end rant

[citation][nom]thlillyr[/nom]Wow just wow. You were really scraping the bottom of the barrel on this articale. Really the typing seems better? Its the exact same keyboard on the exact same screen. I type 80wpm on the ipad 1 and i type 80wpm on the ipad 2. It's the same keyboard stop reporting progaganda and get back to the facts. Apple and all other companies decive the customers enough as it is. We turn to toms to get cold hard unbiased facts. Not to read sponsered advert bs reviews. The device had 2 things changed thats it. It's not a new revolutionary device like the first ipad. In my opinion if you don't have one get an ipad 2. If you already have an ipad. Don't bother until you break it. Then sell it on ebay for full price. (Seriosuly they sell for full reatail even with shattered screens.) Then buy an ipad 2. I have yet to see a compelling feature that necessitates an upgrade.[/citation]

How do you justify expecting cold hard facts out of an Opinion Article? Just curious. I can understand wanting, and expecting facts out of a review.. but that's not what this article was.. Obviously..

Overall, I liked this article, Rachel. Thanks for putting time into this. Personally, I'm kinda on the fence right now as to whether I want to get the iPad2. I wanted the original, but didn't have the money, and now that the iPad 2 is out I do want it.. But I just don't know if the camera is a make or break for me.. When using skype or facetime.. Is the video quality from the cameras just a minor annoyance, or is it one of those.. "What it has is fine.. but I do wish it was better" kinda things?

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]cursedwarrior[/nom]I do understand that the Ipad2 is a quiet "magical" tool, and have a different feel , however what i don't expect is that the Tom's hardware review writes so much about "how it feels" "how magical it feels"we read this review to find out how practical a product is, i will decide if it is magical or not.i wanted to know, how apple should've improved the product, maybe better safari, better switching between pages (like tabs) ,better speaker (2 speakers if possible) ...etcthank you for the review[/citation]
This is not a Tom's Hardware review--look up: you're at Tom's Guide. We are a little bit different, here, but most people who find us seem to like it.
My perspective on the speakers: change to make the speakers emanate from the back of the iPad 2 instead of the bottom grill is an improvement. Audio has more of a sound bar effect (quasi-surround) this way, and it can still get quite loud.
I personally don't miss tabs when I'm using the iPad 2 iOS 4.3 version of Safari--it is very easy to switch between open windows, and many apps have navigation from within inside the app. I'm interested to see how Apple implements tabbing, because I do assume it is coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.