surround sound speaker placement for existing, un-moveable 6.1 rear speakers

Ross_15

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
I am upgrading my home theater system. When it was installed in 2001 it was set up as a 6.1. Due to depth constraints in the walls the three rear speakers had to be installed in the ceiling just behind the main listening spot, so I don't have the option to move them. I was looking to purchase a Yamaha receiver with Atmos and YPAO to help. How should I wire up the surround? What should I do with the rear center speaker channel for the best sound?

Solution
Atmos requires all the non height speakers to be at ear level plus additonal speakers. You could add the Dolby Atmos upward firing speakers to the front speakers but it won't work as well
For now set up any new receiver in 6.1 as you had before. The Yamaha YPAQ auto setup may or may not be an improvement over manual setup but if you don't like the results you can modify or turn it off.
Atmos requires all the non height speakers to be at ear level plus additonal speakers. You could add the Dolby Atmos upward firing speakers to the front speakers but it won't work as well
For now set up any new receiver in 6.1 as you had before. The Yamaha YPAQ auto setup may or may not be an improvement over manual setup but if you don't like the results you can modify or turn it off.

Solution