surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
This is the best place I could find to ask my questions, so sorry if it isnt considered the correct area (neither the cinema equip or home theater has a sound sub cat.)

I recently bought a surround sound system from newegg (items will be listed and linked below), and I have a couple questions for everyone.

Questions:
[strike]When hooking up a subwoofer to your reciever; what is the best method (using speaker wire, or the rca style plugs)? [/strike]
Is there really a difference between speaker wire like Monoprices' vs Monster's?
Is 14 awg wire good for a max run length of 35'?
If hooking the subwoofer using the speaker wire, do you have to run the front speakers from the subwoofer? (what do you do about the speaker connections on the reciever?)
On my subwoofer, there are 2 of the RCA plugs to hook it to the Reciever, but my reciever only has one plug on the back for it....what is the second one on the sub for?

Equipment:
Yamaha SW315 Subwoofer
Yamaha RX-V365 Reciever
Energy Take 5 Speakers

I ask about the subwoofer hook up because the method I use will differ what I buy for cables (I am not allowed to open them until xmas lol). I have had a surround sound before, but it was a cheap dvd/box system...

Thank you for your help :)

1. Some of Monster Cables more expensive speaker cables can have worth on the right system but with your Take 5 speakers any 16 awg wire should be ok. 14 awg would be better for a long 35' run.
2. Do not hook up your sub with speaker wire. You have small satellite speakers that need the receiver speaker menu to be set all to "small" and yes to "sub".
This limits the bass that is sent to the satellites and adds it back in the sub. This allows the sats to play louder, cleaner, and protects them from being blown. The pair of RCA inputs are for use with stereo systems without sub outs. If there is not one of the RCAs labeled mono use either.