Surround through HDMI but with a monitor using Displayport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selsiuss

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
So I want to get surround sound. I could get those "PC" surround setups like the logitech Z506, but you get what you pay for and I'm willing to pay a little more for guaranteed higher quality.

So, in the past I tried what I'm about to describe but it didn't work. Let me explain:

Years ago I got one of those blu ray home theater in a box things, and put an HDMI in to the thing while using a DVI cable to run my monitor. The problem was, without another HDMI cable going out from the box and into my monitor, the system said "no display detected" or something like that and would shut itself off, so I had to get another HDMI cable to make it work. The surround worked of course but I decided to return that set because it was cheap.

Fast forward to today, I've since built a new computer with a GTX 1070 and I have a new 4k monitor on the way.

I already have a DisplayPort cable and an HDMI 1.4 cable, so could I plug that HDMI cable into the receiver from my GPU, and run the DisplayPort cable to my monitor, and have that setup work without the receiver automatically shutting down because it's not connected to a display? Is it required to run an HDMI out from these types of receivers or can they get an HDMI in only? Would a PC be able to run HDMI audio through one cable and video to a monitor without the need to run a passthrough with HDMI 2.0?

If this particular setup doesn't work, then I'd have to buy a much more expensive "4k receiver" to run the passthrough with HDMI 2.0, correct?

Solution
You can set the HDMI output as your second extended display and use it as your audio device. That might work but since you won't be able to find any current model receiver that isn't 4k HDMI 2.0 I don't think you have to worry about it. Just go through the receiver.
Status
Not open for further replies.