Suspicious Download! Is it a virus?

Jul 17, 2018
Suspicios Download from MediaFire.

So I was about to download a resource pack for a video game but when I go to the mediafire download it looks like this ''§e§lLively Faithful.zip'' im not sure if i should be worried but those symbols worry me and i just wanted to ask if anyone knew what it was

Solution
Impossible to say then.

If you want it, download it & scan the file before you install anything - then scam again once installed.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a full system image/backup, just incase something does go horribly wrong.
That's just the name of the file - anybody can name anything... well, anything.

MediaFire and any other file sharing site/service can be a breeding ground for viruses or malicious programs.
How did you land at that file specifically? Were you referred there?

Do you have anti-virus software scanning installed/enabled? Do you have an adhoc scanner like Malwarebytes too?

Jul 17, 2018

I have malwarebytes. I got to the site through adf.ly link and i got that from a youtube video

Would appear to be. But again OP, that's just the name. Anybody could upload a file with the same name.

If you followed a link from the creator's YT channel, then I'd be pretty confident in it. Followed from a random comment.... not so much.

Jul 17, 2018

yea the video has 200k views and the youtuber is verified. the only reason i ask is because i had to disable my malwarebytes just to get to the website, it kept blocking everything

Jul 17, 2018

They are just recommending it.