Sweden Law Kicks In; 33% Traffic Drops

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
i have a hard time understanding one thing.

if you acquire something for free that would cost you money how isnt this theft.

but then again who needs to pay for this, it doesn't affect anyone if you acquire it this way.

the warehouse that one stored these items wont have a reason to keep its staff.

the production company that one made this item wont need to make as many, meaning less staff.

the shipping company wont have as much to ship so great less staff to pay

the store that sells the item wont sell as many of them, so even better less staff to pay.

The world wonders why were in a recession. This type of free free free is why.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Excert:

Ever since broadband widened the throat of the Internet, an untold amount of copyrighted data has passed from one IP address to another, firing up the RIAA, the MPAA and government agencies across the globe.

I find this funny because I remember down loading cracked games when I had dial up way back in the day....

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
If I was swedish I'd probably hate piratebay about now ;-) Interesting to see a crackdown with laws in that country on this stuff. I remember when I started using the internet and it was very difficult to find pirated software. Then later on came the MP3's with those lousy ratio ftp sites bleh. Torrents are okay but last time I went on the bay it took an entire day to download 200 megs. blah! There's better ways to get stuff, torrents stink.

jawshoeaw

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
3000 audio books? Man - it's one thing to copy music from your friends - another to be hosting a whole library of stolen property. It would be like only pulling over speeders exceeding 100mph

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Unfortunately the fricken companies will charge and fine those 1000 for more than the 2 million users put together cost them. The companies will sue for the maximum (way over what individual file shares actually cost them) this way they get their money and don't even have to catch everyone. It's a bunch-o-corporate shit, that's what it is.

G

I found the following comment by the author rather self righteous. "the leeching pirate population will just find another way to grow and fester." I wish I was such a saint to say that I have never pirated.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Now you see why comcast, shaw cable etc slow down torrents. As the majority of torrents are piracy.

im lucky to get 2-25kBps out of a torrent.

torrents are waste of time. FTP/HTTP is better.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I haven't bothered with torrents for a while but problem with FTP is you have to deal with an admin, whom usually is a knob. Better to use http or some other source.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I, for one, admittedly download games and movies. I can tell you SO many games that I have bought that are so buggy that won't run properly on my system (new Mirror's Edge for starters) or trying to find technical support on them takes an hour just to find where to send an e-mail to get help - then wait a week for some form letter to get back to you that doesn't cover any of your problems.
If I download a game and I like it, I usually buy it. If it sucks or doesn't work, I'm not going to blow money away.
Also, why can't they just do in-game advertising? Playing F.E.A.R. and passing so many vending machines of some fictitious cola or playing Fallout 3 and all the outside billboards and whatnot. Hit up marketing departments and get sponsorship. Makes the game look a little more lifelike since you're seeing ads that you'd recognize, and you'd make a tonne of money for advertising and then drop the prices of the games so it just makes more sense to buy it instead of ripping it.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Of coures its all bs.. These movies,music,game companies are still making record profits when they actually make something worth buying. There just mad cause if they make second rate crap people are just gonna download it instead. And this law won't stop anything.. Like the article said people are just waiting to see how things unfold.

To the one guy who said they should see a sale go up by 1/3 that is exactly an apple to apple comparison. Because they made it that way. By saying people who pirated are hurting sales. If I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.. Then I'm not hurting a sale am I.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I've found with good hardware, most of the games run fine. But then again I had big problems with some Vietnam game that came out a few years ago. Somehow I returned it. But that was the only game I can remember on pc having big issues with. All else these days crashing to desktop is due to either bad server configuration or bad custom maps. All in house stuff seems to work completely fine.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
My two-cents.

New games cost $60+ a piece.
Hardware to play the games cost $500+

What about those who can only afford one or the other? They don't have the right to play games?

henkten

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]truehighroller[/nom]Excert:Ever since broadband widened the throat of the Internet, an untold amount of copyrighted data has passed from one IP address to another, firing up the RIAA, the MPAA and government agencies across the globe.I find this funny because I remember down loading cracked games when I had dial up way back in the day....[/citation]

HaHa LOL! Thats so funny, because as I was reading that I was saying the friggin exact same thing myself, that I remember scouring the internet, and downloading cracked pc games on DIALUP back in the day! lol Those were good times,haha!

G

Same example as the above... I love movies so if I download one and I like it I eventually buy it if not I delete it. Now for me piracy is the absurd Dvd prices! Why do I have to pay 20 euros for a regular new released dvd when in UK costs only 14-16 ? Or WHY do I have to pay those 14-20 euros when after 6-18 month it will drop to 5-10?? So I wait... I download, delete and after the price declines, I purchase.

Also Blue-Rays in my country cost 28-30 euros... amazon uk just 8£... aka 11 euros max...

Status
Not open for further replies.