Switching from Ubuntu to Mint

MoemenShahawy

Estimable
Sep 23, 2015
I just got a DELL 5000 series 5558 and it came with Ubuntu installed. I've used ubuntu before on a multiboot system, however, this is the first time i get an only linux system on my hands. I kinda want to switch from Ubuntu to Mint, no idea where I should start since... any help appreciated

Solution
i have Mint on a laptop and it seems as simple to me as installing it like any OS, or running to bootloader version. if you put it in a usb, you can use it as a full OS without even messing with the installed OS.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
i have Mint on a laptop and it seems as simple to me as installing it like any OS, or running to bootloader version. if you put it in a usb, you can use it as a full OS without even messing with the installed OS.

Solution

gangrel

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Generally real simple. For Ubuntu, the process would be this:

a) Download
b) Burn to bootable USB...lots of tools for this

Then, Ubuntu certainly lets you test-drive, by booting from that USB and running. I would presume Mint does as well. Play with it, if you like it, there should also be an installation option.

You might be able to streamline this, too; Mint is based off Ubuntu. Perhaps all you really want/need is the Mint desktop...Cinnamon? The guts shouldn't be all that different.