Swype Update Has Dictation System, Handwriting Recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibboard

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Given that the current Swype keyboard can't pick the right word some of the time anyway then I've not got much hope for the next word prediction. Am I really going to say "swype" more than "swipe"? And some of the obscure words it comes up with instead of a five-letter word are just bizarre!

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]becherovka[/nom]I changed to Swiftkey due to its amazing predictability I still like swype but its prediction was lacking.[/citation]

THIS. +1 The two should merge!!!!! (I get a ringing in my ears from the "bzz" of the haptic vibrate after too much tapping)...so I wish I could swype...but the next word is correct only half of the time. With Swiftkey entire sentences are purely prediction selections.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Swype was nice for a while, then I met swiftkey and everything changed. The only nice thing I got left from swype was the dragon go! addon, it really beats google voice in dictation, well, at least in spanish which is my native language.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I don't like Swype. I tried to like it and to get used to it, but swiping your finger in all directions across your keyboard is just awkward. It might be a lot quicker when it is accurate, but when it gets the wrong word and you have to go back and delete it, it ends up taking longer than just normal texting.

I think voice-to-text is better and works awesome ... but I feel like a tool talking to my phone when other people are around :)

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I am unimpressed with Swype. It is glitchy as all hell. When I first installed it, it worked great, then it couldn't update the language packs, then it stopped predicting my words. This happened on two different phones.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Weird to see so many people that dislike swype. I found that I can write with it so much faster than any of the other keyboard options. And word-prediction is off from time-to-time (specifically if you are trying to type a word not in the dictionary), but the correction back to the word you want isn't tough, and once you add it to the dictionary, you don't run into the problem much. Oddly enough, I found the pre-installed version of swype to be "better" than the beta version you manually install (after rooting+rom, for example). I don't know why that is...

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I used swype quite a bit and liked it, but the lack of other language support eventually killed it for me. Once you spend a couple days with it you can get really fast with it, definitely a cool idea and one of the few areas where I can justify patent with computing.

Status
Not open for further replies.