System unable to boot

G

Hello friends,
A friend of mine had me fix his laptop, compaq mini 110. The problem is that the OS can't load past the splash screen with microsoft logo. Well, I have fixed so many laptops before but I have not yet encountered the persistence of this kind of problem. I have checked the bios and it's all ok, and I have diagnosed the boot media and the RAM; they're all fine. Then I tried booting the PC severally but I've been unsuccessful.
Well, thought of running the startup repair utility which runs for around 10s, loading the windows files then loads the OS which then hangs at the microsoft logo. I tried the Advanved option, the system goes to startup....seems like a loop or so. I try the system recovery utlity, nothing much from this.
I decide to pluck out the OS using a bootable USB Stick both using lighter Linux's puppy and xubuntu, also tried W7 Homebasic and Wxp. Non worked, the system gets stuck at some point and shuts down after say 20 - 30min.
Later, I decided to boot again using the Wxp bootable usb stick, and the system gave the message " The system does not recognize the mass storage installed".
Can I conclude that the SATA Disk has failed even after running the diagnostic test? Is there a way out of this ?
Please Help?

Hi,

It's pretty much the HDD problem in your case. You've also tried all the possible troubleshooting steps that should have solve the problem. All other OS didn't worked either plus it stayed on the same screen or it gets stuck to a point that it won't continue. I would suggest replacing the HDD already unfortunately. :(

G

Seems so since I can't even boot in safe mode. Every procedure is shut. But, if may ask, I want to try to use testdisk and repair the drive as an external hdd using a different computer. Does this pose any danger to the future usability the hd? Thanks for the response Nerd.