T-Mobile Details the LG's 4G 3D G-Slate

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I've been an Nvidia fan for a long time (except for back in the day when I was a 3DO/ 3DFX fanboy. And I've never been an Apple fan really. But having said that, I just don't see this being a real competitor to the IPAD. The common fail point for these tablets is Android/ Google and the Apps Store. Apple has done a great job of making sure that every product it sells works and that it does not crash the machine. Android/ Google has totally failed in this respect and every tablet Android report that I have read indicates that the machines are buggy as all get out. When I was younger, buggy and crashy and complicated wouldn't have bothered me so much, but now that I'm near 40 I've decided that I have too much other stuff to worry about in life than a machine crashing all the time (which is why I'm waiting to buy the IPAD 2).

And as for the younger market... we..I teach school and every kid in my class has an Apple product (including many IPADs), which tells me all I need to know about which product the youth are going to purchase. I haven't seen an Android product yet (couple Blackberrys, many Iphones, but no droids).

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I've been an Nvidia fan for a long time (except for back in the day when I was a 3DO/ 3DFX fanboy. And I've never been an Apple fan really. But having said that, I just don't see this being a real competitor to the IPAD. The common fail point for these tablets is Android/ Google and the Apps Store. Apple has done a great job of making sure that every product it sells works and that it does not crash the machine. Android/ Google has totally failed in this respect and every tablet Android report that I have read indicates that the machines are buggy as all get out. When I was younger, buggy and crashy and complicated wouldn't have bothered me so much, but now that I'm near 40 I've decided that I have too much other stuff to worry about in life than a machine crashing all the time (which is why I'm waiting to buy the IPAD 2).And as for the younger market... we..I teach school and every kid in my class has an Apple product (including many IPADs), which tells me all I need to know about which product the youth are going to purchase. I haven't seen an Android product yet (couple Blackberrys, many Iphones, but no droids).[/citation]
Since you are so hellbent in getting an ipad, just go ahead and get it. I don't see the comparison point to this device, as this one has a multitude of options and a highly customizable OS, which the ipad lacks. At the end of the day, it's all about personal taste/choice.
As far as crash-proof devices, I've had my time with iPods in the past and they're anything but crash-proof. I've seen ipods, iPhones and ipads freeze and/or crash as well, don't believe for a minute they're worry-free. And if they don't do that with a certain program, it means they just can not run that program to begin with, due to inherent limitations of iOS. That's the reason I moved from them and decided to evolve with something else. If it's still going to crash sometimes, at least it should do it on my terms, so to speak.
And before you start with the generational problem, I am 40, as well, not near 40.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well from a personal perspective I'd rather not have a customizable OS if it means avoiding, or at least minimizing, bugs, Google spyware and Google Addware. That's just me though. And don't tell me that Apple is anywhere near as buggy as the Android devices released so far. Look at the reviews of the Galaxy Tab, Archos and other systems. Then look at IPAD. Sure there are people who have had issues with their IPAD but its nowhere near the scale of Android. There is an article right here on Toms where 16 percent of Galaxy Tab owners are returning the product. Are you suggesting that the return on IPAD's is anywhere close to that ? (I bet its sub 1 percent).

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
The galaxy tab does not run android 3.0, it uses a modified version of 2.3(>_> i think) so yeah its not designed to be used as a tab and the apps are not designed for the screen size. Also the hardware in the galaxy tab isnt that great and is probably quite slow. This device has 3.0 which is specificly designed for tablets and it has alot better hardware i'm not sure how you can predict how good this will be.

I'll wait for reviews before i decide what tablet is best not just suck in all the stupid apple fanboy cr@p. Do u actually now the return rate of the ipad southernshark or did u just pull that statistic out of your @ss?

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Ipad is at 2% return rate but again all the ipad is, is a glorified ipod touch it doesnt do anything that a touch cannot do as far as i am concerned oh wait it cant play flash thats all the reason in the world not to buy one sorry but i love my flash vids

kitsura

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
I'm sorry, I am a gadget guy.. and I'm 40 as well. I can't believe how stupid people look whipping out their giant ipads on the subway, They just say 'MUG ME!'
regardless, tablet computing in this form is just beginning. We will see as the form progresses how the marketshare will filter out.
We need to remember especially when dealing with the youth market, that they are incredibly fickle, the hottest must have items always have shelf life. We'll see how long this one lasts..

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
haha silver565 says:
"Are those two cameras on the back" (Clear lack of understanding of how 3D works.)
Then calls the iPad "revolutionary" (Note how his mouth moves to use Jobs words.)

Lack of understanding + being a Jobs pupet = Apple fanboi

Status
Not open for further replies.