T-Mobile Launches Contract-free Data-only Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
1) Contract-free data plans are the norm for the rest of the world. Welcome to the present, US.

2) $15 for 300 MB? I find you funny, T-Mobile. Over here, it's $17 for 3GB per month. $25 gets you 5GB. Also, these prices are considered outrageously high here and some service providers offer better ones.

3) Oh, and did I mention that here it's available no matter which device you're using?

:D

You're still behind, US. Lame.

asamarz

Honorable
May 20, 2012
@amk-aka-Phantom way to compare apples to oranges. Over here in the U.S., while we may not have everything set up the same as other counties, T-Mobile is one of the only U.S. companies to offer this much of a variety of no-contract plans. Also, you say the prices of these plans are outragious. Have you seen AT&T's prics? Or Verizon's? Talk about overpriced. T-Mobile is one of the least expensive nationwide carriers. They offer very competetive pricing out here. So next time you start bashing something, try to learn some facts first. Thanks.

existencenow

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Since when is ~ 75$ Minimum Per Line Competitive, Let alone your LOCKED into said contract with upwards of 325$ Fines for breaking contract. This is one of the most tempting feature sets to come to the smart phone market. With the 50$ dollars saved by having a data device, using a service like Skype for "phone" calls and offloading most of the usage to personal in home WiFi. This is a fantastic feature.

Godlover1133

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
@asamarz Stop taking offense to the truth. We are paying way to much in general for data packages. Its not bashing to say that $15 for 300MB is stupid, IT IS. Wake up and look around you, when it comes to the mobile sector, we are paying outrageous prices in comparison to the rest of the world. However, if you were to show me that the performance level is much better for these prices than the rest of the world, then your argument would make sense. Until then, stop defending high prices. Thanks.

asamarz

Honorable
May 20, 2012
@Godlover1133 I absolutely agree that, in general, data packages are overpriced. Like you said, the whole mobile industry in the U.S. charges far too much. I'm nodisputing that. The problem I had was with the arguement that T-Mobile was overcharging for services. While this may be true compared to other countries, T-Mobile still offers thebest pricing for a nationwide company within the U.S. Again, this is in comparison to other nationwide U.S. carriers. Overpriced? Sure. But still the cheapest in the U.S.? Yes.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]existencenow[/nom]Since when is ~ 75$ Minimum Per Line Competitive, Let alone your LOCKED into said contract with upwards of 325$ Fines for breaking contract. This is one of the most tempting feature sets to come to the smart phone market. With the 50$ dollars saved by having a data device, using a service like Skype for "phone" calls and offloading most of the usage to personal in home WiFi. This is a fantastic feature.[/citation]

thats honestly a really good idea... have any idea how much data an hour of skype chews through?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Godlover1133[/nom]@asamarz Stop taking offense to the truth. We are paying way to much in general for data packages.[/citation]
Personally I think we're (US citizens) paying way too much for more than just data packages. Everything here is outrageously priced.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]asamarz[/nom]@amk-aka-Phantom way to compare apples to oranges. Over here in the U.S., while we may not have everything set up the same as other counties, T-Mobile is one of the only U.S. companies to offer this much of a variety of no-contract plans. Also, you say the prices of these plans are outragious. Have you seen AT&T's prics? Or Verizon's? Talk about overpriced. T-Mobile is one of the least expensive nationwide carriers. They offer very competetive pricing out here. So next time you start bashing something, try to learn some facts first. Thanks.[/citation]
They might be competitive if they offered anything that was usable. Their coverage is terrible, and then the second you go past 200MB on their data they throttle you down to 2g speeds. In my opinion you are better off paying for service that is functional.

flipster

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
[citation][nom]thorkle[/nom]They might be competitive if they offered anything that was usable. Their coverage is terrible, and then the second you go past 200MB on their data they throttle you down to 2g speeds. In my opinion you are better off paying for service that is functional.[/citation]

Their coverage is fine unless you wind up in some small city off the map.
At least they only throttle you down to 2G speeds as opposed to charging you outrageous overage fees.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
$25 for 1.5GB? Seriously? What about their $30/month plan that offers 100 minutes, 5GB data (then it's throttled), and unlimited texting? (or is it just that they figure that you might actually use all the data with a hotspot and thus they give you a worse deal?)

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Part of why our cell phone plans are expensive compared to other countries? Coverage. The USA has far more land area and "last mile" subscribers than many other countries. While some plans are a rip off, cell phone companies do have to pay for electricity and for network upkeep. We have tons more towers than say, some countries that are only about the land area of a small USA state. :) It's not like Europe where everyone tends to be more clustered together.

That being said, I'll stick with PagePlus which has a nice $55 plan that has unlimited talk, text, and a gig of web. :)

MiamiU

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
They dont get gouged with petrol prices.... here the goverment subsidizes gas prices with our tax money so we are still paying high prices you just dont see it.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]1) Contract-free data plans are the norm for the rest of the world. Welcome to the present, US.2) $15 for 300 MB? I find you funny, T-Mobile. Over here, it's $17 for 3GB per month. $25 gets you 5GB. Also, these prices are considered outrageously high here and some service providers offer better ones.3) Oh, and did I mention that here it's available no matter which device you're using?You're still behind, US. Lame.[/citation]
lmao thought the same. They're touting prepaid as if it were a new thing.

[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Explain something to me - how does a family of 5 afford iPhone 4's where you live? Do they just drop 3,500+ euros or whatever currency you use? I guess I get the pay for the phone yourself mentality, so long as you're an individual or maybe married - but are the normal sized families screwed? The US is also quite large, unlike a lot of other countries. That being said, most people do little, to no international traveling, while in Europe, people are constantly. ANYWAYS, you get gouged for most electronics and definitely on gas/petrol/oil. So what's your point? I hope you know, and fully understand that the US and it's multinational corporations, own pretty much everything - probably your country and economy. So while you're getting a break on a few things, you're definitely getting the same short stick on others. There are very few places on Earth where you can actually get fair, and reasonable prices all around - most places are the same greed centric as the other.[/citation]
When you talk to amk, or me, you're talking to people living in the largest democracy in the world.

And no, very few families bother with having 5 iphones because Apple sells them too expensive here, even with contracts. Apart from that, very few families think that they should have the latest iToy Apple throws at them (if you're considering larger families, that is). Besides, the contract system is pretty new in our country, has few takers as far as i know. Plus it's kind of weird in it's current form.

Electronics are more expensive, yes. Phones, however, no. Oil is subsidised, so no.

We're pretty much an internal economy (i believe that's what they're called) so no, the US and it's corps don't really own the country or economy, it's just that global markets are linked and face it, most of the time it's a broker's game.

Last point, taken. Very few places.

For the record, i didn't want to get into this, but your post irked me a bit, probably that's what you wanted, but, well.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]My entire point: Our greedy rich bastards > Your greedy rich bastards. We have things that don't make sense to you, you have things that don't make sense to us.[/citation]
Agreed :D

[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]A gallon is $3.89~ in Las Vegas - so convert that to your currency, and I doubt it's less than what we're paying - and that's without our government doing shit about it.[/citation]
I'm assuming you're talking about gasoline =>petrol.
Yeah about $4.7 per gallon by current exchange rates.
Diesel is about $3.15.

At least we've fuel efficient cars :p

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
so 50$ a month gets you 1666 minutes of talk time
15$ gets you 100 minutes
25$ gets you 500 minutes

and that's assuming the worst case scenario of skype to skype, and that you aren't using a wi fi connection.

i do like those numbers a bit more now, still think its high but that is a GREAT alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.