T-Mobile Offers Micro-SIM for 2G Speeds on iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
@danwat

SIM card stores the subscriber's information as well as contacts and some SMS. We don't precisely need it (as shown by the CDMA carriers) but I'd rather have one so as to have freedom of choice of carriers.

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
sim card doesnt provide freedom of choice of carriers. it might give you easier phone switching. it will be few year from now until we have password protected mobile service. go patent that and later you can patent-troll.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]give it some time....AT&T purchased T-Mobil....soon enough you won't need to do this...T-Mobil is a dead company[/citation]
AT&T has not purchased T-Mobile. They are trying to purchase them. This is currently in the regulatory stage, which is expected to take around a year before being told if they will be allowed to make the purchase. This only affects T-Mobile USA.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Wow, the US is being screwed over big-time. They advertise it as a special offer... "Just get a Micro SIM card and choose a plan." It's normal for other countries to get the phone and the SIM separately and change SIMs once you feel like it. They successfully managed to take away the logic from the customers (my phone - my choice of SIM) and now "unlocked" (read: normal) phones are a privilege, while they are simply phones as they should be. 15 years ago, it was like that... every phone would come with hard-programmed subscription. Are you guys going back to the past? Pity... I don't think I'm jealous of USA's good hardware deals anymore; you guys pay double because of your freedom taken away.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Wow, the US is being screwed over big-time. They advertise it as a special offer... "Just get a Micro SIM card and choose a plan." It's normal for other countries to get the phone and the SIM separately and change SIMs once you feel like it. They successfully managed to take away the logic from the customers (my phone - my choice of SIM) and now "unlocked" (read: normal) phones are a privilege, while they are simply phones as they should be. 15 years ago, it was like that... every phone would come with hard-programmed subscription. Are you guys going back to the past? Pity... I don't think I'm jealous of USA's good hardware deals anymore; you guys pay double because of your freedom taken away.[/citation]

it only really matters if you buy into the whole smart phone thing.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Wow, the US is being screwed over big-time. They advertise it as a special offer... "Just get a Micro SIM card and choose a plan." It's normal for other countries to get the phone and the SIM separately and change SIMs once you feel like it. They successfully managed to take away the logic from the customers (my phone - my choice of SIM) and now "unlocked" (read: normal) phones are a privilege, while they are simply phones as they should be. 15 years ago, it was like that... every phone would come with hard-programmed subscription. Are you guys going back to the past? Pity... I don't think I'm jealous of USA's good hardware deals anymore; you guys pay double because of your freedom taken away.[/citation]
AT&T and T-Mobile are the only "national" carriers that use GSM networks. The other "national" carriers are using CDMA networks. The phones are locked to their network type. You can't buy a GSM phone and use it on a CDMA network.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]AT&T and T-Mobile are the only "national" carriers that use GSM networks. The other "national" carriers are using CDMA networks. The phones are locked to their network type. You can't buy a GSM phone and use it on a CDMA network.[/citation]

That's exactly what I mean... in other countries, 90% of the carriers use GSM and you can use any SIM with your phone. When I first heard that one of my friends had a "locked" phone and therefore needed a new one, since he was going for a holiday trip to GB, I laughed so hard... how stupid can you be to willingly allow phone companies to deceive you like that and give you a restricted product that dictates what SIM you can and can't use?

Pathetic. I'm used to travelling with my phone and changing SIM cards whenever I like (I have like 4?) and switching carriers once a better contract is available. Example: I buy a phone, then a SIM contract where I have to pay X cents per minute for a call and Y cents per SMS. Two months later, a better contract comes out, where I have to pay X/2 cents per minute for phone call and Y*2 cents per SMS. I, understanding that I'll save way more money on the new contract (cheaper calls, more expensive SMS, but I use SMS less than calling), dump my old SIM into the dustbin and get a new one. Meanwhile, the "locked" phone owners whine and lose money, because their contract ends only in a year, they don't want to get rid of their shiny new phone and they're scared of unlocking it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Wow, the US is being screwed over big-time. They advertise it as a special offer... "Just get a Micro SIM card and choose a plan." It's normal for other countries to get the phone and the SIM separately and change SIMs once you feel like it. They successfully managed to take away the logic from the customers (my phone - my choice of SIM) and now "unlocked" (read: normal) phones are a privilege, while they are simply phones as they should be. 15 years ago, it was like that... every phone would come with hard-programmed subscription. Are you guys going back to the past? Pity... I don't think I'm jealous of USA's good hardware deals anymore; you guys pay double because of your freedom taken away.[/citation]If you're happy with your wireless provider, they offer locked phones at STEEP discounts on the latest most advanced hardware if you sign a contract. For many users, who don't plan to switch providers anyway, this is a great deal. For others? Buy an unlocked phone, or a dumbphone. It's your choice.

G

[citation="amk-aka-phantom"]That's exactly what I mean... in other countries, 90% of the carriers use GSM and you can use any SIM with your phone. When I first heard that one of my friends had a "locked" phone and therefore needed a new one, since he was going for a holiday trip to GB, I laughed so hard... how stupid can you be to willingly allow phone companies to deceive you like that and give you a restricted product that dictates what SIM you can and can't use?[/citation]

You do realize that a phone could be "unlocked" to any GSM carrier by inputting a unlock code that you can get for free from the phone's carrier (provided that you are their customer) right? And if you aren't able to get it from your carrier, there are plenty of places to get an unlock code for $30 or less. Oh did I also forget to mention that these "locked" phones are offered at an extremely discounted price? $500+ unlocked vs free-$100 locked. So even if you did have to pay for a unlock code, the price of the locked phone is still loads cheaper than if you were to purchase it unlocked.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
My father's iPad has been using T-mobile's sim for more than 1/2 year, just use the adapter to cut the sim and it works just as fine and I'm paying 15 bux per month (5 for extra line, 10 bux for unlimited web)

ppl in US is so stupid they don't even know they can do this, one time some other iPad user asked my father why is he using T-mobile. I just told him I cut the sim and it's same thing. Funny thing is his "3G" AT&T's internet doesn't work at all when my father's iPad works, just slower. lmao.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Max Collodi[/nom]AT&T has not purchased T-Mobile. They are trying to purchase them. This is currently in the regulatory stage, which is expected to take around a year before being told if they will be allowed to make the purchase. This only affects T-Mobile USA.[/citation]
have you paid any attention to At&t commercials as of late?

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]have you paid any attention to At&t commercials as of late?[/citation]
I have. They say that AT&T is planning to merge with T-Mobile. Have you paid attention?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]I have. They say that AT&T is planning to merge with T-Mobile. Have you paid attention?[/citation]
the merger is already done, they are just finishing up the papers, as they say, lol

G

I am Canadian, the screw ups of wireless scene in US makes me proud to say that I am Canadian Asian, US is taking the route of subsidizing locked phones too far, saving grace would be those independant Asian stores selling unsubsidized unlocked phones from the very dumbphones to ultra costly smartphones.

On the T-Mobile merging note; if Rogers-Fido was of a note T-Mobile is going to be separate even as AT&T subsidiary; especially for the relative uncrowded and backward-compatible-to-international 3.5G AWS network it would be in AT&T own best interest. Currently there's no 3G roaming across continents from major North American carriers.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dfssdfdsf[/nom]I am Canadian, the screw ups of wireless scene in US makes me proud to say that I am Canadian Asian, US is taking the route of subsidizing locked phones too far, saving grace would be those independant Asian stores selling unsubsidized unlocked phones from the very dumbphones to ultra costly smartphones.On the T-Mobile merging note; if Rogers-Fido was of a note T-Mobile is going to be separate even as AT&T subsidiary; especially for the relative uncrowded and backward-compatible-to-international 3.5G AWS network it would be in AT&T own best interest. Currently there's no 3G roaming across continents from major North American carriers.[/citation]

its also good that now all the major carriers in canada now all use some form of GSM

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]the merger is already done, they are just finishing up the papers, as they say, lol[/citation]
Looks like somebody hasn't done their research. The government hasn't approved the merger. It's looking more and more likely that they won't approve the merger at all. So no, the merger is not complete. It's nowhere near being completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.