T-Mobile's Galaxy S Vibrant Getting Froyo Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Great news for T-Mobile Vibrant owners.

Now what about us Galaxy S users still stuck on Froyo waiting for 2.3?
Is 2.3 worth upgrading to? does it even introduce many, if any, new features worth exploring compared to Froyo?

I wonder how much work it actually takes for carriers and manufacturers to get the newest version of Android to our phones..

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
the more "customized" the interface is, the more work is required to port a generic OS and mod it for a certain device.
Or, they could just leave Android as it is, and it would take only a couple weeks to port it. No modding, no changing the interface, just optimize the drivers for the hardware.
But, manufacturers will never get it....

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I wonder when will we Samsung Epic owners will get our 2.2 update? I always hear ,"Soon....very soon" after several months of delay.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Do you guys remember the story about Motorola blocking custom ROMs? Remember the handful of people that said it was a "non-issue"? Well, this is one of the rare times being able to load a custom ROM would be very helpful.

I own the Galaxy S Captivate. I got very tired of waiting for Froyo. I started Googlin'. I found a nice site that has info on almost every smartphone. I started reading and downloading. BAM! Froyo on my Captivate. I didn't have to wait for AT&T to push the update, I didn't have to wait for the official release from Samsung, either. There's many more benefits to loading a custom ROM.

I highly recommend that if you're tired of waiting for a new version on Android for your phone... load a custom ROM. It's worth it.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Love my phone, but to tmobile,and samsung, that was bullshit. I am only going to by pure google phones from this point on to make sure i get updates in a timely manner.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]The Greater Good[/nom]Do you guys remember the story about Motorola blocking custom ROMs? Remember the handful of people that said it was a "non-issue"? Well, this is one of the rare times being able to load a custom ROM would be very helpful. I own the Galaxy S Captivate. I got very tired of waiting for Froyo. I started Googlin'. I found a nice site that has info on almost every smartphone. I started reading and downloading. BAM! Froyo on my Captivate. I didn't have to wait for AT&T to push the update, I didn't have to wait for the official release from Samsung, either. There's many more benefits to loading a custom ROM. I highly recommend that if you're tired of waiting for a new version on Android for your phone... load a custom ROM. It's worth it.[/citation]
Not to mention the fact that most "geeky" captivate/vibrant or any other GSM variant of the galaxy S series have had froyo for some time now, and even had working GPS. Funny a phone that has broken GPS out of the box won smartphone of the year..
That said, I've been using the GT-i9000 2.2.1 for over a month, and prior to that I was on 2.2 since august.
That said, its insanely easy albeit possibly warranty voiding to install a current OS on the captivate, except for 2.3..
However with the first "Official" US carrier to roll froyo there is likely to be an onslaught of new roms.. I for one am going to go find it and flash it.

yose3

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Samsung responds to claims of holding back Vibrant's Froyo update
by Bonnie Cha

Samsung Vibrant
(Credit: Sarah Tew/CNET)

This post was updated at 5:27 p.m., PT with comment from T-Mobile.

There's a story circulating the Web today that's causing an uproar among Samsung Vibrant owners and putting Samsung in the hot seat.

According to AndroidSpin, they received a tip from a reliable source that claims that Samsung is preventing T-Mobile from releasing the Android 2.2 Froyo update to Vibrant users in order to push the next-gen Vibrant 4G.

The tipster, who appears to be from within the T-Mobile organization, writes:

"Some disturbing things have happened the last week or so concerning our "Vibrant." Samsung has NOT allowed us to push the update OTA for 2.2 because they feel it will decrease the value of the upcoming Vibrant4G +. While from a marketing aspect I totally understand, as the Vibrant 4G is what the original Vibrant should have been in the 1st place. But to shun off and bold face lie to customers is NOT what T-Mobile is about."

The source goes on to say that the Samsung Vibrant 4G is largely similar to the current model, except it adds a front-facing camera, and new movie and 4G capabilities.

We reached out to Samsung for comment and a company spokesperson sent CNET the following response:

"Samsung Mobile does not comment on rumors or speculation. With regard to the Froyo update, we recently issued the following statement: "Samsung feels it is important to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available only after we feel that we can give the millions of U.S. Galaxy S owners a simple and reliable upgrade experience. Due to the complexity and unique functionality of each Galaxy S device, we are performing additional testing and are working to make the Android 2.2/Froyo upgrade available to all U.S. Galaxy S owners, including the Samsung Vibrant, as soon as possible."

The noncommittal answer surely isn't satisfactory to Vibrant owners, but what I'm more concerned about here is Samsung's general delay in releasing a Froyo update to all of its Galaxy S smartphones here in the States.

When the Galaxy series of Android phones was unveiled in late June, Samsung said that the entire portfolio would be upgraded to Android 2.2. Though it never promised a delivery date, some of the models have been out for about seven months now with no sign of an update. Meanwhile, other handsets, including the Motorola Droid X and HTC Evo 4G, have received the Android 2.2 update.

It's all a little too reminiscent of the Samsung Behold II fiasco, where Samsung stopped pushing updates after Android OS 1.6. Though the company never officially said it, we suspected the TouchWiz interface was to blame, which is why we were concerned when we saw an even more customized TouchWiz UI on the Galaxy phones, but at the time, Samsung assured us updates would not be a problem.

We appreciate the thoroughness in testing, but this doesn't help Samsung's cause. I really hope for its sake that all Galaxy owners get a helping of Froyo soon.

When asked for comment, T-Mobile referred us to Samsung's official statement shown above.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Well, we do have options such as loading the custom ROM, wait or get a non-Samsung phone.

I am surprised Google didn't pressure Samsung to get the updates out sooner as they wanted to standardize the entire platform in order to be successful. If TouchWiz is the blame for the delay then ditch it if they can't develop it in a timly manner. There are other lauchers available in the Android Market.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
It's rumored that Samsung Epic on Sprint might get the update starting Tuesday of this week and at end of January everybody should have it. We'll see as this happened in December only to find out it was held back again.

yose3

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]magruder13[/nom]I still haven't gotten the update... Has anyone seen this update yet?!?!?[/citation]

not yet :\

yose3

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
BY THE WAY i will recomend to reset your phone to factory reset so the upgrade go smooth and when your phone finish with the upgrade it feel like a new fresh out phone lol

Status
Not open for further replies.