Tablet for school/notes + programming would be nice

NeutralEnergy

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hey all,
1. Is This Your First Time Buying A Tablet?
Yes

2. Do you already have an operating system in mind? If so specify-
Definitely not iOS, I've looked into Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT, as well as Android. I really liked the Surface 2 (it was quite perfect for me)... But I've heard the programming capabilities are limited, to say the least.

3. What screen size do you have in mind? And your preferred resolution (not required but helps)?
Not particularly, but something large enough to be able to, say, put up an article up and a word processor and type perfectly fine (I liked how the Surface 2 pulled this off).

4. Preferred Brand(s) - (ex. Microsoft, Samsung, Asus, Apple)
I've been a fan of Asus in the past (in terms of laptops), but have never tried their tablets. I like Samsung and Microsoft.

5. Brands Not Preferred (specify why) (ex. Hannspree, Acer, etc.)
Not Apple, just not the brand for me, doesn't fit in with what I want to do. Not too big of a fan of Acer either, for quality reasons.

6. How much do you want to spend on your tablet?
Currently, around $600, but I'm a student and, if shopping at a Microsoft Store, can get 10% off everything.

7. Do you have cellular service? Or do you want the tablet to be WiFi only?
I do have cellular service. Am unsure as to whether or not I'd like to use it.

8. If you do have cellular service, who is your provider and how much data are you allowed per month?
AT&T at 3gb a month.

9. Do you want the tablet to be a full laptop replacement?
I do have a laptop, but it's bulky. When at home, I use my desktop.

10. What existing apps do you use? What do you intend to do with this tablet?
Note-taking and a word processor for notes and homework is necessary. I'd have to use a keyboard as well, and I haven't seen anyone pull it off like the Surface. I'd like for it to be portable (I guess it's obvious, but I intend to really carry it around with me, and I'd like to easily be able to stick it in my bag or just carry). I still have my eyes on the Surface 2, and may well get it, but the lack of being able to program on-the-go (would've been great) is off-setting. I'd be willing to root it/alter the software to allow me to do so, yet it doesn't seem like there's much concerning that. I program in Java and PHP (I'm mainly looking for Java programming capabilities).

Any replies are much appreciated,
Thanks all!
Neutral

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
the asus t100 seems good for the price. I dont own one personally but from what I have seen in reviews it is pretty good
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/asus-transformer-book-t100
Oh and don't get a windows RT tablet like surface 2. while windows rt might be good it has very few apps and just isnt worth the price when you can get a full windows device for the same price or barely any more. if you meant the surface pro 2 then it is one of if not the best tablets you can buy but it sure has a hefty price tag. if you can find the surface pro (1st gen) on sale then I would suggest it. with full windows (not RT) you could use any of the programming apps that you use on ur laptop on it.