Tablets Cannibalize Netbooks, says ABI Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I have a tablet, a netbook, a superb adroid phone, and a laptop, as well as a home build desktop. Let me be honest, I see no reason why tablet would cannibalize a netbook. I find that I use all these devices in different ways. Do I use my netbook as much as before? No. But I also would not use my phone or tablet for a session that involved large amount of writing. All these devices have different uses. If I had to say which are my most important devices I would list them in this order: smartphone, netbook, laptop, desktop, tablet. I should add that I could do without the tablet but not without my desktop, or laptop. The desktop remains a place for serious, very serious work. I simply cant imagine doing serious editing or note taking with a tablet, something that can be done more efficiently with a netbook.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I knew it's a Gruener article before I opened it - AGAIN.

I agree, but only to some extent. If a netbook is just your small portable entertainment center, tablet can replace it (Asus Transformer, for example). If you're using your netbook for portable "proper" OS (Windows/Linux) like I do, tablets won't cut it. I'd rather upgrade to a better netbook (just no Atom and no Fusion, gimme an i3/i5) than get a tablet :p

runswindows95

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Since I do a lot of typing, I rather have a netbook for a truly portable device. Tablets to me are devices that allow you to check Facebook while on the couch.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I don't see tablets running Photoshop or playing SC2 anytime soon or being a typer (like others posted). Some netbooks can do all this.
Tablets where never ment be a contect creator, just a contect consumer. Very different animal.
my 2 cents

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I love my netbook. Could not live without it. 8 hours of battery life, and can type really really fast, and can place it on a crowded coffee table as I type away writing all over the place. Love sitting with it in the kitchen early in the morning as I am now; it takes a tiny bit of space leaving enough room for my coffee mug and phone. My tablet I take to the gym and place in on the treadmill while I work out, or I download pages that I read later while commuting ( prefer the larger screen of the netbook for longer reading sessions). My cell phone I carry with me and check things on the fly as I buzz in an out of places in crowded Manhattan. What do I always carry with me? My netbook and my super smart Android phone where I also house my music and many important files via a micro sd card; completely Apple-free here--thanks but not thanks Mr Jobs I prefer to hand over my extra money to good causes!!!! Why are people talking about the end of the netbook, or the end of the desktop? I could never live without my super powerful homebuilt desktop either, or without my laptop which is intended for more time demanding projects that involve a larger screen and longer sitting sessions... Sad to hear such misguided nonsense.

I compare talk of the death of the netbook or desktop over the tablet to people talking about: will shorts replace dress pants and jeans, or short sleeve shirts replace long sleeve shirts, or will t-shirts replace polo shirts, or will bathing suits be replaced by underwear? Grow up! All these things serve different functions.

ddt529

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Weren't tablet PCs supposed to be the fusion of tablet and netbook? I get enough touchscreen action from my Android. I had a friend who bought their father an iPad. He had no clue what to do with it. Then he exchanged it for a Tablet PC. He fell in love with it. Could do tablet mode for browsing then switch to netbook mode for typing. Same price as the iPad too with better specs. I wish a manufacturer would push the marketing on those rather than feed into Tablet fever.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Tablets are worthless for anything that requires actual productivity, if it doesn't have a serious (real) keyboard , it can be used for serious activity.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Tablets are worthless for anything that requires actual productivity, if it doesn't have a serious (real) keyboard , it can be used for serious activity.[/citation]
Add a keyboard to a tablet, and you get the best of both worlds... Except for x86 support, usually...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Does anyone really still want netbooks?[/citation]
I want a small, sub 3lb, sub $300 fully x86 compatible laptop with excellent (8 hr+) battery life and a nice keyboard... So yeah...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Frankly these studies do nothing useful for us. If I'm being paid big money just for popping out something like this I want to be a researcher too.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I want a small, sub 3lb, sub $300 fully x86 compatible laptop with excellent (8 hr+) battery life and a nice keyboard... So yeah...[/citation]
You're probably in the minority since the performance on said plasticbook will be not so great.

Status
Not open for further replies.