Tabula Rasa Shutting Down Feb. 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Why do I get the feeling this whole last month free deal is just a ploy to get more players? If the reach a certain quota I get the feeling they will continue anyway. Why else would they prolong the service?

G

The issue with TR and AoC was not that WoW is such a monster hit, but that these games were not up to the standard people now expect from MMORPGS nowadays.

WAR is suffering the same issue, people are stopping subscribing in droves because of the poor PVE in the game. Relying on a good PVP system to cover up the fact that the game itself is quite poor is not working, the only players left playing are those committed to 100% PVP with is a tiny proportion of the MMORPG market and quite a fickle population.

If WAR's PVE had been half as fun as the PVP I'm sure it would have been an enormous success. Providing poor quality PVE does not improve the PVP in the game, it leads to falling subs and worse PVP.

The lessons that need to be learned are if you want a successful MMORPG, don't listen to the bean counters about releasing an unfinished/poor quality game, the playerbase will not stand for it.

jamesl

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
so how is lord of the rings online doing?
they just released a huge expansion: two new classes, new areas, updated skills

but I still think the game is so boring its unplayable

anybody know how its numbers are doing?

This is the one I have big hopes for and am eagerly anticipating
StarGate Worlds
http://www.stargateworlds.com/

Battlefield Heroes online is supposed to be a free mmo and currently in beta
it looks promising: it looks fun, its free, and it seems to have a lot of the goofy stuff that would appeal to WoW players
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDfAAImLAJA&feature=related

These are the two I'm currently playing and enjoying very much (both free)
Shaiya
http://shaiya.aeriagames.com/download

Perfect World International
http://www.perfectworld.com/

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
This is definitely sad. I did the closed beta and open beta for TR. I just never could get into the control mechanics. It was fun for a break from the normal MMO though.

They just had a free week or two also about two months ago or so opening up all accounts for anybody who had an account previously. I think that was their last strike at getting a boost in the player base. I don't see a free month before the end as a last ditch effort though.

Too me Auto Assault's end was a lot more sad though. I miss that MMO to this very day.

All that being said I do agree Stargate Worlds should be interesting! As for NCSoft I am really looking forward to Aion! I just hope it doesn't share other NCSoft games' fates because it might not be a typical MMO!

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Bout the only NCSoft game I still see a lot of people playing is Guild Wars. And thats likely because it's free to play after buying the game. I personally won't do more than 1 pay to play game at a time. And right now that slot is taken up by EVE Online. I never got into WoW, warcraft wasn't my favorite world, and I've play all too many fantasy MMO's in my time.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I wasn't including the free games from NCSoft in my post. Guild Wars is great and I still play that to (I in no way attribute Guild Wars success to NCSoft though - I give Arena Net full credit for Guild Wars). Exteel is a very fun game published by NCSoft also even if it's still claimed to be a beta of sorts.

I don't think Aion will be one of the free sorts published though. I could be wrong though. And if I was to include all of the games NCSoft publishes including the free ones then I would have add in that I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2 also (all credit given to Arena Net of course).

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I really want to play a good sci-fi / cyberpunk MM0 (and I really dislike EVE). I though that TR might be it, but after a few days of play, I realize that it definitely was not a good game. Anarchy Online was kinda cool, but is way past its expiry date.

jamesl

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]mathos[/nom]Bout the only NCSoft game I still see a lot of people playing is Guild Wars. ...[/citation]

isn't Dungeon Runners an NCSoft game?
I always thought it was pretty popular. I tried it out after they made the graphics update and it was pretty crowded (I thought it was ok, not great)

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Yes Dungeon Runners is published by NCSoft also. It is one of there free games like the Exteel model more so than like Guild Wars. And I know for a fact Exteel uses NCCoins which allows you to buy in-game items with real money. I believe Dungeon Runners is like this also. I have yet to try it out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.