Take a High-Tech Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Right, because the Hello Kitty and Micky Mouse portable fans are so much better than readily available alternatives and are totally geared towards adults, and the Panasonic tough tablet is definitely affordable enough for it to be practical for Joe Schmoe to bring it on vacation with his significant other or family.

And those sunglasses look anything but cool. And MP4 watch? Seriously? What about the iPod you said was a necessity? Why would you want to watch lo-res video on a crappy 1.5" screen with no practical battery life or storage?

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Wait a minute, why are there no links to product pages? You don't even consistently give the manufacturer or model name/number. How is this guide supposed to be at all useful if we don't even know where to get half of the featured gadgets (the half that are actually practical solutions given the alternatives)?

G

This article is pointless! The only thing I would take would be the I-Pod...and there wasn't even mention of a NintendoDS. With homebrew software it can do 90% of the functions mentioned in the article and be substantially cheaper.

As for a laptop..why are you on vacation if your working?

BTW those sunglasses are awful.

G

This laser keyboard has been around for at least three or four years. I bought one online back in 2004 or 2005; its nice as a show-off thingy to amaze people with, but its not really practical in daily use I found. May be useful for sites where you cannot have a real keyboard at all (although I would not know what sites that would be).

goodsyntax

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
This is a terrible list! With the exception of the iPod, Eee PC and maybe the solar cell laptop bag, most of these items are useless gimmicks, grossly overpriced and/or not practical. The products that were chosen show an amazing degree of feature overlap, were poorly described and does not reflect tech that would ever be useful for vacation.

Let's get real here, when vacationing, you want practical, lightweight and multi-purpose tech. A more realistic and far more practical list would include some kind of Atom based mini notebook (like the Eee PC or MSI Wind), some type of 3G USB adapter from Verizon or AT&T for wireless internet access, an MP3/Video player (iPod or Archos) with a bunch of music and movies stored and finally either a point and shoot digital camera or a higher end hard drive based compact camcorder that can take high quality digital stills.

Next time leave out the frivilous junk like the MPEG4 wristwatch, the "Ghetto Blaster" iPod dock and keychain cameras; instead focus on the practical application of technology in real world scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.