Tech Giants Unite on World IPv6 Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]shreeharsha[/nom]Will IPv6 make any variations in transfer speeds over a network (due to long address) ?[/citation]
The length of the address will not effect transfer speeds, but theoretically IPv6 is supposed to help improve routing so latency could potentially be improved. However, this would require mass adoption so you as an end user will not notice any difference whatsoever in transfer speeds or latency.

The transition to IPv6 will not come quickly, it's actually been going on for many years in preparation for IPv4's address depletion. It will most likely take much longer here in the states whereas emerging countries such as India and China will most likely adopt at a much faster rate.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
IPv6 will enable everyone to ditch the NAT and have a real IP adress, in this same way considering our current circumstances comes quite comvenient for record labels and goverments to be able to now track everyone's IP adress.

nesters

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
[citation][nom]shreeharsha[/nom]Will IPv6 make any variations in transfer speeds over a network (due to long address) ?[/citation]

While the actual transition will be in the process, there will be significant impact on latency and probably also transfer speed because of gateways and translators we will need to convert addresses between two protocols.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]x3style[/nom]IPv6 will enable everyone to ditch the NAT and have a real IP adress, in this same way considering our current circumstances comes quite comvenient for record labels and goverments to be able to now track everyone's IP adress.[/citation]

Especially since your IPv6 address is unique (and will remain unique) as it incorporates your NIC's MAC Address. I think Tunneling services will become much more popular.

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
This will take a long ass while. consider how stupid general internet users are, they be like "wth is ipv6? internet is internet, right ? and what is an ip address? info just comes straight to my comp cuz I paid for it?"

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Vampyrbyte[/nom]Especially since your IPv6 address is unique (and will remain unique) as it incorporates your NIC's MAC Address. I think Tunneling services will become much more popular.[/citation]

Not really, what happens is that you can encapsulate IPV6 traffic into IPV4 so that everything remains compatible but you can still access IPV6 specific websites. You just need to do the encapsulation until you can move completely away of IPV4 which will take some time.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]This will take a long ass while. consider how stupid general internet users are, they be like "wth is ipv6? internet is internet, right ? and what is an ip address? info just comes straight to my comp cuz I paid for it?"[/citation]

Not, most will not even notice it to be honest. Windows and most other operating systems already support it. I setup IPv6 on Sun Solaris boxes about 11 years ago and access IPv6 only website back then by encapsulating it into IPv4. You can do that now. What will happen is that the ISP's will convert to IPv6 and use IPv4 encapsulation and then once they can move completely to IPv6 and all the necessary software updates have been applied, they will just lease the addresses out via DHCP.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nesters[/nom]While the actual transition will be in the process, there will be significant impact on latency and probably also transfer speed because of gateways and translators we will need to convert addresses between two protocols.[/citation]

there shouldn't be IPv6 has been around for 10+ years so they should have been able to get a the quirks out by now you would think. heck i remember back in 1999 hearing that they would have to switch over to this soon.

wishtar

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Great job boneheads!! Nothing like waiting until the day after to make sure everything works. I'm really glad they didn't take this approach to Y2K.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
And hello IPv6 with your stupid complicated addresses.

Come on- IPv6 is a 25-year old technology, not backwards compatible, and horribly complex. You also cannot get rid of an address once you have it because a part of the IPv6 address is your MAC.

So it's technically worse than IPv4. Why couldn't we have come up with something better?

G

I expect everybody is going to used spoofed MAC addresses on their router for their public IPv6 address, and run an IPv4 network internally. Virtually every consumer router already offers this for just IPv4 and this is just more software. If some claimed authority figure comes knocking on my door they aren't going to find any gear with that MAC address.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Vampyrbyte[/nom]Especially since your IPv6 address is unique (and will remain unique) as it incorporates your NIC's MAC Address. I think Tunneling services will become much more popular.[/citation]
The idea that it contains your MAC address isn't really that bad, that information is already included in regular IPv4 packets. Its also pretty easy to change your MAC address anyways. So for Joe user this isn't really going to make a difference, and for techies we can easy subvert any additional loss of privacy.

G

Wait a minute, I don't know where you guys read that IPv6 incorporates MAC addresses or that NAT will die, NAT is in itself a great way to protect your inboud network from the outside, I'm sure not a lot of companies will get rid of it so quickly, unless they're super confident in their firewall guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.