Teen Sentenced to Prison For Lasering a Helicopter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Considering that the overpowered pointer lasers can burn out a eye in notime and everyone is aware of this his intent seems clear, lock him up!

wolfram23

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
You've got to be kidding, 15 months in prison!?!?

Sure it wasn't a smart or safe thing to do, but crashing into another car because of "being distracted" gets you a ticket (if nobody dies, and no drugs or alcohol involved).

At the absolute maximum he should have got some community service or some crap, more reasonably a fine. More than a year in prison is just effed.

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Meanwhile in Other news, Good samaritan Man beats elderly woman for not looking both ways before crossing the street, the court system thought while that act seemed harsh, 6 months in jail seemed adequate.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Hold on.... The cop that killed a (maybe more than 1, don't remember) teenage girl because he was texting on a highway doing more than 100mph gets paid suspension and tons of probation, while a kid with a laser pointer miraculously hit a helicopter cockpit gets 15 months in prison? Seriously? What was the technical charge of all of this?.... The judicial system is a peice of work...

obiown77

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
However, I would like to know how long he pointed it at the helicopter, was the kid just flashing for a second or two, or literally trying to piss off the pilot, this is important information in regards to this crazy 15 month sentence.

slob

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I really hope this gets appealed. Did he interfere with air traffic? Yes. Can that be incredibly dangerous? Yes. Fifteen months for what could be a misdemeanor? Seriously? Was anybody actually injured? Not according to the article. I think at the most his actions constitute as battery. He's nineteen, he's not a minor anymore, but barely an adult. His life it going to be permanently frakked anyways as this is going on his permanent record. But fifteen months? This sets dangerous precedence. Our justice system is too happy to throw people into prison. We're making a criminal out of this man. If he wasn't before, he sure will be by the time he gets out.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
This is outrageous! No damages occured?!!

I really think this is just way too much jail time. 1 day would have been fine... or a year probation and the criminal record.
Hell, im sure the police could have just gave him a scare and let him go.

G

Such blind hatred and ignorance. What is a prison? A factory used to turn young fools into hardened criminals? Prison is just a gutter where people who did a few stupid things get tossed into. Yeah, that was pretty stupid, pointing a laser at a persons face can be bad. But life in prison? 15 months? You people are insane!
Break his laser, kick him in the ass and make him serve community service, the end. 15 months in prison is like, rapists and even some killers sort of time. I just don't grasp how people find the logic here. A prison is supposed to be a correctional facility, all it is is a bloated hate hotel where the guests are treated like the worst people on Earth and enslaved for their entire stay (see prison labor). The only person here that seems to have some sense here is wolfram23.
I believe the goal is to simply put as many people in prison as possible to destroy the US, as part of a multi-point attack, and in the process use these slaves for as long as possible. Naturally, many naive individuals assume that they are being protected from the guy who held a laser pointer for 5 seconds or the guy who smoked some leaves. All you are going to get are seriously angry, messed up, confused individuals who were punished and trained by other angry, messed up, and confused individuals. The end result is a pile of super criminals who may actually do some harm. So in 15 months you will either get some psycho who comes out of prison looking to kill the first living thing it comes in contact with, or some lobotomized nothing. Either way, all that has been accomplished is the destruction and rape of someones young soul. The system is broken, and whoever wrote this article is a f ucking a sshole, not to mention the rest of those who were involved in the case of the guy with the menacing laser pointer. Ahh, help me, my helicopter veered off course!
If you really need to punish the kid, smash his hand, don't destroy his soul.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
there are too many of these incidents and they need to set an example. it's hard to find the culprits so probably this is the best they could do.

These kids are shooting lasers at anything, even jumbo jets. According to the pilots, the laser refracts around the whole cockpit and the glare disrupts their entire view. Jumbo jets guys. This is equivalent to a terrorist highjack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS