Teen Shoots Self After Leaving Facebook Updates

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]yao[/nom]I never understand why someone has the courage to kill himself and doesn't have the guts to live.[/citation]
Really? It takes no courage to kill oneself, there are only 2 main things that go through your head if you are ready to kill yourself: 1) Best way (fastest/least painful [or the opposite depending] and 2) What will it be like to die. These are the ONLY thing to fear when considering death. The reason is simple, you will be dead. Nothing will matter after that.
It takes more guts to live than to do anything else on this earth. The reason is that if you choose to live then you are choosing to go through the rare happy moments but more importantly the long, rough, and grimy hard times. If you choose to live then you realized that all of your people in your life will be affected by your death (Again if you decide to die then you would not care, Death is a greedy concept).

Should society be more sensitive? I think that it truthfully depends, but more importantly I think that society should be less worried about comments sending someone over the edge and more worried about that long walk to the edge. In fact it is really societies fault for all of the depression. We put too much emphasis on things like school/grades/work/money. The point of life is not to gain the shiniest/biggest stuff, but rather get what makes you happy and enough all of the moments that you would other miss working. (Quick question, how many of you have gone outside lately and just sat and looked at the clouds for an hour and just enjoyed it?) Before someone says that school and grades are important: they are, but there is just too much pressure involved within them. If your child doesn't get an A or B min. parents freak out (which is flawed since really 70% of students should be getting C's since that is considered average and should be happily gained while A/B's should be awarded....keep in mind that Cs would give you no stress and would be happy to have).

turtlespeed

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Yes, our fellow neighbours like him should be taken serious.
Life has more to offer then one failure.
When one doors closes, another openes, you just need to try to open another door. Never give up! Does the sun ever stop shining. No! It keeps on going! Take the following person for instance, some people have given him up, he has no legs or arms, what could he do? But still he found his hope.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/974594/nick_vujicic_no_arms_no_legs_no_worries_part_1_of_3/

He is one of the many thousand peoples in this world who could, and you cannot?? True success or failure starts with the your choice.

My hope is n Jesus just like Nick in this video.

turtlespeed

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Yes, he's a neighbour could have been your friend.
Everyone needs help from time to time, even the most successful
people, even if they don't admit it out of pride.

Life is given to us that you can do something with it.
Hope is always there just like the sun that keeps shining.

The following person is a christian who was born without arms and legs. He heard and felt what can you do?? What use are you??
He felled depressed, but he found hope! Hope in Jesus.
In what and who can you find hope??

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/974594/nick_vujicic_no_arms_no_legs_no_worries_part_1_of_3/

Never give up!
One door closes, another opens, just keep knocking! Don't keep sitting on the floow crying while your hope is just the next door.... Everyone has it's good things...even if you only had one good thing, that is a blessing already! See and find out how you can use it to make other and yourself happy...

turtlespeed

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Well, I don't agree... Let me explain.
1+1 = 2 right?
0+0 = 0 right?
So explain me how in heavens earth the big bang could happen?
The matter that exploded came from somewhere...
Just like the chicken and the egg...the chicken came first..not the egg. A Sciencetist said: well through a blackhole the matter came into here and then exploded....
Well...this theory is still not complete..it came from somewhere...right...so who send it????????
So if there was nothing in the beginning in this universe...
then nothing could be made from it --> 0+0 = 0
Untill something was placed, then you get 1+0 = 1
If there is no one, nothing could ever happen!

one word for your lives purpose and goal..... God.
You owe him for your life...so don't throw it away please.

Talking like there is nothing after death could be a risky choice. And: happiness and tears do control our lives now and then, can't you just press the fast foward button in your life qhen you feel pain? It's a choice aint it?

(Personally I thought about death too, long time ago. I am happy that I did not. After years I found out that life's great even if there are a few heartbreaking moments. the sweetness of life is far worth more then the pain for the moment)

[citation][nom]turtlespeed[/nom]Yes, our fellow neighbours like him should be taken serious.Life has more to offer then one failure.When one doors closes, another openes, you just need to try to open another door. Never give up! Does the sun ever stop shining. No! It keeps on going! Take the following person for instance, some people have given him up, he has no legs or arms, what could he do? But still he found his hope.http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9745 [...] rt_1_of_3/He is one of the many thousand peoples in this world who could, and you cannot?? True success or failure starts with the your choice. My hope is n Jesus just like Nick in this video.[/citation]

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Should we be publicly. Um no. Should their family be duh! A simple how you doing, you alright, need any help usually works. It's not like you should automatically assume the worse and try and take them to a mental aslym.

As far as cops I don't care if somebody does threaten on a public forum. It should not be cause for an arrest. Now don't get me wrong I'm all about security. So it could/should be able to justify warrants to make sure it was just somebody having a bad day. But this go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200$ doesn't cut it either

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
They shouldn't post that crap online expecting everyone to give them a hug when there's 3 billion people online who don't know you

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
sorry, I didn't finish reading this article. I have just read Tuan's piece on "biased" reporting and then jump here...and what do I get?

"Our question of the week is: Should we be more sensitive about people say in the public forum, be it aggressive or depressive?"

if you had misspelled something, Marcus, maybe that would be ok. but unless I missed something back in english class, there's a WORD missing there. I'll let you figure out which one though.

(also the use of a definite article "the" instead of "a public forum" could be called in to question, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant it like this. sorry to be so critical, but ONE proof read would have shown you the missing word mistake...and it IS your job, which you get paid to do...)

FanterA

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
WTF? ok if you search for for 'suicide' the top two links are samaritans and maytree (in UK), but if u type in 'how to kill yourself' u get: "Related searches: how to kill yourself painless how to kill yourself painlessly" come on google, you started doing a good thing there, then dropped the ball, you just need to add more words to the trigger list, although i suppose its only so long till some EMO band sues for loss of earnings.

frish

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I think that people shud generally not be dicks on the internet. There are times i think it can be fitting, but theres alot of jerks and insults and bitchyness especially on gaming, do i rly wanna hear insults towards new people playing, or just noobs that just wanna play for fun when people just go ooon about it, the odd comment, and taking the mick i find ok then. I kno its not gonna happen tho. Saying stuff is fine if u dont think anyone wud be negatively affected tho.

Back on topic, if someone mentions suicide people should not say discouraging things, eve if they think they are kidding, coz if they are serious about it they might take it the wrong way. Instead they shud say things like "dont joke about it", rather than "go kill urself". I personally have posted on a forum when i was especially feeling down, and i was thinking that i might get comments like go kill urself to give me more courage to actually do it, but maybe deep down it was a cry for help and not rly knoing wat to do. I got sensitive replys tho, altho im still sort of stuck. After tho there was this 1 guy that mentioned things about me dieing, and i was like y r u saying that, i wasnt fully taking it personally coz i kno ppl r just being tools not understanding properly wat theyre saying. He said that he was jokeing and that he wishes for me to get better or something like that, someone else told me that he doesnt believe me, which if true, thats fine, but i dont think its something to joke about to someone that has talked about feeling that way. Btw dont read this post as me being sympathetic towards myself, its not, its me stating my opinion and experiences.

As for the aggressive thing, it shud be thought about, if it doesnt look serious, measures shud be taken, or at the most dont take serious action unless later u suspect otherwise. If they think the person is serious then by all means take action, but again nothing too drastic if they cud be innocent

madjestyr

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Some people, no matter what you do, will take their own life. I don't know this kid and I feel sorry for him and his family. Although, the first thing that came to my mind was that this kid has been coddled too much by his parents. Like I said I don't claim to know what was going on in his head, but it seems to me that mabye something happened that he was relying on failed. I know a lot of people who's apparent world will collapse if one thing fails to go their way. That is why you have to teach children what disappointment feels like early and in small stages. Also, how to deal with it. I was clinically and seriously depressed for almost two decades. At my lowest I had some thoughts of suicide, but I would never go through with it. Nothing anybody said at those times made any differance to me. The one thing that kept me from killing myself was that my parents taught me that no matter how hard things seem and no matter how black things get, things always change. That is one thing you can always rely on, change. Even though I succeeded at most things in my life, my parents made sure to teach me (and my siblings) how to deal with disappointment, rejection, and failure. That is something that is not widely taught anymore. I don't understand. If this kid had been taught early on how to deal with failure and rejection. He would still be alive today, and after some time being upset and thinking about what happened to him, he would have got back on his feet and started over.

user-one

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
If ANYONE takes anything said to them via the internet seriously, they need a seroius reality check. Or maybe just good ridance.

G

those people who have this kind of suicidal thoughts should be given attention...they speak from their heart and may not have someone to talk with..

G

I love this ("Never take life seriously - no one ever gets out alive anyway,"). So true. We all die in the end. RIP. There are plenty of things that will kill you naturally, and most people run from death including me. But you should take yourself off of the list of things to watch out for. Suicide = Bad Um'k

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]HalJordan[/nom]Words are cheap...a few extra kind words to a person on the edge could bring them back.[/citation]

Yep... If only more people would think this way. Even if the person was just looking for attention, why not give it? Because you never really know if they are serious or not. A few kind words just takes a little time and empathy to write.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Be more sensitive. I guess it would be the politically correct thing to do. Personally, if someone wants to kill them self, that's hunky dory and fine with me. I am not going out of my way to try and "save" them.

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]turtlespeed[/nom]Well, I don't agree... Let me explain.1+1 = 2 right?0+0 = 0 right?So explain me how in heavens earth the big bang could happen?The matter that exploded came from somewhere...Just like the chicken and the egg...the chicken came first..not the egg. A Sciencetist said: well through a blackhole the matter came into here and then exploded....Well...this theory is still not complete..it came from somewhere...right...so who send it????????So if there was nothing in the beginning in this universe...then nothing could be made from it --> 0+0 = 0Untill something was placed, then you get 1+0 = 1If there is no one, nothing could ever happen!one word for your lives purpose and goal..... God.You owe him for your life...so don't throw it away please.Talking like there is nothing after death could be a risky choice. And: happiness and tears do control our lives now and then, can't you just press the fast foward button in your life qhen you feel pain? It's a choice aint it?(Personally I thought about death too, long time ago. I am happy that I did not. After years I found out that life's great even if there are a few heartbreaking moments. the sweetness of life is far worth more then the pain for the moment)[/citation]

... and where did your God come from?

joneb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
The internet is a very bad place for people with mental health issues. In my experience and observations so many people using the internet are ignorant, abusive, offensive, bullying and selfish and destructive. The makn reason is the well known fact of anonymity on the internet breeding a culture of less inhibition which allows for the true nature of a person to come through and behave in a way that is socially irresponsible.

The evidence is clear when you read many of the comments on this thread. Some of the posters wil be completely oblivious just to how ignorant and nasty they are being. Theres so many comments like this theres not one to be picked out and focussed on esepcially. To any compassionate person its obvious what is wrong.

I think in the same way police will take threats and aggressivev behaviour into consideration they need to also consider the destructive and neglective brhaviour that can is damaging to vulnerable people and lead to them ending their lives. I would say many people should be ashamed of themsleves butsome will just bee laughung and sneering at this post and others will be offended because they think itstheir right to be nasty and ignoarant to others. Let me tell you its nomore your right tan it is for you to mug or steal or murder someone.

May god forgive you for I am finding it difficult.

joneb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I wish I spell checked amd grammar checked the last post but I am pretty upset by peoples attitude. Im sure someone will now pick me up on my bad grammar and someone else may belittle me in some way.

If I was to say I want to die many would say do it, kill yourself, and many would laugh and the police not take notice but if I said I would come to your town and do something nasty (which I wont, its just an example)the police very possibly would be straight at my door.

Maybe if the people who act in this nasty way cant be socially responsible maybe the forums shold be held accountable for social responsibility. And even places that you can leave comments on like this one held responsible too.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
[citation][nom]joneb[/nom]I wish I spell checked amd grammar checked the last post but I am pretty upset by peoples attitude. Im sure someone will now pick me up on my bad grammar and someone else may belittle me in some way. If I was to say I want to die many would say do it, kill yourself, and many would laugh and the police not take notice but if I said I would come to your town and do something nasty (which I wont, its just an example)the police very possibly would be straight at my door.Maybe if the people who act in this nasty way cant be socially responsible maybe the forums shold be held accountable for social responsibility. And even places that you can leave comments on like this one held responsible too.[/citation]

I don't think anyone is going to attack your grammar or spelling, and if they do, big deal. Don't let that bother you! Most people can understand what you are saying.
Now, as to what you are saying, I am not socially responsible for you or anyone else. There is a huge, huge difference between you committing suicide, and you threatening violence. If you kill yourself, that is a sad thing, but whatever, it doesn't bother me. Buddy believe me life will go on fine without you. If you come to my town and threaten others with violence, that is a completely different thing, then the police will, and should do whatever it takes to stop you.

Status
Not open for further replies.