Teenage Boy Murders Mother Over PlayStation

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nim Chimpsky

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]I am certain that better parenting could have avoided this....[/citation]
[citation][nom]dingo_d[/nom]This is what happens when parents don't care for their kids. School wont raise your kid, and neither will PS3, Xbox or any other tool...[/citation]
How many people are going to blame the murder victim?

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
Absolutely agree with some of the above statements. As a "Normal" functioning member of society,one is born with some sense of right and wrong. No amount of video gaming is going to make a person brutally murder someone unless the person is already messed up mentally.

There are a ton of video game consoles out there and a boat load of kids and adults using them. Every once and a while something like this has to happen based on odds. Odds are there will be some messed up individual that will need an event to trigger an episode.

Games don't kill people,people kill people

graphicsgriffin

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I am a 31 old gamer. I have been playing PC games for the last 20 years. I like all types of games including violent games. I killed and slaughtered thousands of enemies over these years. I like games like Gears of War, it's so bloody and all. But that would never make me kill anyone. Believe it or not, I cannot even agree on killing an ant, or hurt a bird, really, not joking. I think games should not be blamed, but still they affect in some way.

G

He does NOT deserve to live in this society, any society. Just get rid of him. Take if away from the gene pool. It'll be a big mistake and a waste of tax payer's money to put him in jail.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]knekker[/nom]
Hemburger said:
Stop generalizing
I'm not generalizing, my conclusion are based on what the boy did to his mom.No matter how bad parenting he was given, you don't smash their head in while sleeping, then only to drag the half dead body into the oven to try and burn her to death. This kind of behavior screams of phychopath tendencies. The boy is ****** up, don't try blame his mother for that.[/citation]

None of us knows exactly what his childhood was like prior to this incident. He could have spent the first 15 years of his life constantly being abused.... Maybe he was the "bully" in school... There's too much information missing to really decide who was at fault. Maybe he had psychological problems that his parents ignored.... This is very tragic but we don't have enough information to determine what or who is really at fault here. The only thing we know is that the kid had his playstation taken away and he killed his mother.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Nim Chimpsky[/nom]How many people are going to blame the murder victim?[/citation]

How many people are going to blame the video games? Video games don't make people violent.... Bad parenting can though.....but, as I said, there just isn't enough information to determine what really caused this to happen....

Nim Chimpsky

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]How many people are going to blame the video games? Video games don't make people violent.... Bad parenting can though.....but, as I said, there just isn't enough information to determine what really caused this to happen....[/citation]
Exactly. The information in this story is worth about two sentences, yet there's all this empty speculation about video games and parenting.

taran83

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
My brother exhibits aggressive tendencies when he is told to come of the computer, it happens when he begins to spend long hours behind the computer playing games, this affects his mental state of mind, when be begin to control his usage by cutting down on his computer usage he then returns to an acceptable mental state. A single mother will have a harder time controlling a teenage son, I sometime have to physically use force to put him is his rightful place.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
glad I didn't accept that new p$n terms of service. they can spy of you, but no mention of liability if they make you a raging killer :).any one wanna buy a ps3?

Nim Chimpsky

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]ionut19[/nom]How can you kill your mother..? These days the kids are more violent and thrust me when i say that even a kid knows what he is doing so he is responsible.[/citation]
Anything starting with "These days" or "thrust (sic) me" can be rejected out of hand.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]knekker[/nom]Your the same type of people who believes video games can actually make any people kill others. The truth is some people are like ticking bombs...[/citation]
The truth is there is no hard proof of the either.
Another truth is, some ticking bombs, like, for instance, this m*********r:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Chikatilo

didn't "tick" until they've actually experienced enjoying it, he realized how he liked it, so he started doing it.

And don't tell me that violent games cannot activate such passive bombs.

Now

delaconcha

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I am certain that better parenting could have avoided this....

someone tell me how the mothers raising methods are to blame? all this article states is that she took his system away from him...I had my systems taken away from me countless times growing up. It's just sad how people jump to conclusions because they're quick to defend their prejudice. The most I could assume from the given information is that the boy overreacted.....intensely 0_0

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Sad Sad Sad...
I know my mom pissed me off when she took my NES away when I was a kid, but I never wanted to kill her over it. WTF is wrong with people now a days?

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
and this is why capital punishment exists in the first place. the kid is a complete moron, thank gawd most criminals are stupid, now because people don't believe in killing some one for this EXACT action the kid is going to learn how to be a pro and do worse when he gets out in on parole in 15 years.
his execution should be done with beating him with that play station until he is dead.
but because i don't believe in wasting a perfectly good human being i nominate him to be the first american soldier to invade pakistan and hunt down osama and if he brings back osama dead or alive, he will have redeemed himself.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Violence is just normal. It's everywhere - you see it on TV while having a meal, you see it in the streets, you see it at home. Whoever thinks what that boy did is wrong should boycott violent media in general.

But hey we all love fights, blood and explosions, don't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.