Teenage Girl Wins Coding Contest with Anti-Spoiler Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Her brother or boyfriend probably helped her. I've been a programmer for 10 years and I don't know even one girl who can code worth a damn. If I get a CV from a girl, I just look her up on Facebook to see if she's hot.

dns7950

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Interesting, and maybe a good idea in theory, but kind of useless in practice. To have to manually input all the words you want blocked seems pretty low-tech.. Most people who would post spoilers aren't going to put the name of the show, they would probably just assume you know the show they are talking about, and you'd have to manually input all of whatever shows characters for this to actually work..
[rant] On a side note, people who post spoilers in social media are total d-bags, and obviously not very intelligent.. People like that are the reason I hate social media, they are the morons who post non-stop updates on their pathetic lives as if people actually care.. If they go take a dump, they're gonna tweet it. Going to go pull one off?? Better tell the world on twitter. Going to eat? You had better put a picture of your plate on instagram! It's raining? Better let everyone know via a facebook status, because nobody else would have noticed that, CAPTAIN OBVIOUS TO THE RESCUE!!! I'd much rather have an extension that blocks retarded pictures that try and get mentally handicapped people to share/like/comment.. ie) some of the most commonly shared (facepalm) pics such as:
"1 share= $100, 1 comment=$10, 1 like= $1, Keep scrolling=We kill a kitten" or
"Like for Jesus, keep scrolling for Satan(translation: Like my picture or BURN IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA)" or
"comment 1 and see what happens to the picture! (Spoiler Alert: NOTHING. NOTHING HAPPENS. EVER!)
Pretty much every time I sign into facebook I see something that makes me lose a little faith in humanity, but it's worth it because its just so f***ing funny!
[/rant]

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Killerclick, I hope you're jesting. Otherwise, you run the risk of sounding archaic and ignorant. ...but your post, if it was intended as a joke, is kinda funny.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
Simple, yet very useful concept. Just add a TV scraper from a TV guide that has a spoiler section, and it should work wonders. I just think it would be much more useful on FB and Youtube, though.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
As a father of an 18-yr girl who has recently taken up programming, I stand and applaud this girl's hard work. Good job. And guys, don't nitpick. That extension is only as good as you make it. If you really hate spoilers, then take the time.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
If you don't want spoilers STOP FOLLOWING THE SHOWS YOU WATCH. Better yet stop using Facebook and Twitter all together. I really don't understand the obsession.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
The youth of tomorrow, tackling the issues that REALLY matter. . . like helping out people who haven't pirated game of thrones yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.