Teenager Goes to Jail for Overdue DVD

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
[citation][nom]andboomer[/nom]How the hell is a DVD you can pick up for $1 on ebay/etc valued at $31.45?[/citation]
Rental copies cost more than retail copies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
A good defense would have pointed out that the DVD was used, and therefore no longer worth the $31.45 it was valued at when new. When it comes to property and the legal system, it's the item's resale value that counts, not the replacement cost.

storageinventor

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Simple solution. Make everyone deposit $50 with the library when they get their library card. Let them check out anything up to $40 in value at a time. If they don't return something, the library keeps the deposit and uses it to order another copy. If you always return the things you borrow, you get your $50 back when you turn in your library card. No arrest warrants. No stealing by failing to return something.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
He should have been sentenced to PRISON, take property that doesn't belong to you, GO TO JAIL!!!

After a few more are sentenced I bet everyone returns there crap to the library. WAY to soft on people anymore.

To many whinney cry babies around who don't obey the LAW.

blcskate

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Yes send him to prison and waste more taxpayer money. I am more about getting this country out of dept and not making it worse.

My thought with this is he should have never needed a court appearence for this. It is just plain stupid. Cut your loss and don't loan to him again. Mabye through his name in a state library black list. Cheaper and faster for everyone. Any idea how many man hours were spent on this. TOO Many!!

Way too much process in this country. Minor crap like this is insane. Why don't you punish real criminals, and i mean punish. Not just put them in a heated jail with a bed. Heck that is better then most bums have. Anyone who rapes or kills someone and is doesnt get a bullet in the back of the head is getting off easy.

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]soky602[/nom]Its more like, "How the hell is a DVD worth more than a Blu-ray!"[/citation]
By not taking into account depreciation?

enzo matrix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]storageinventor[/nom]Simple solution. Make everyone deposit $50 with the library when they get their library card. Let them check out anything up to $40 in value at a time. If they don't return something, the library keeps the deposit and uses it to order another copy. If you always return the things you borrow, you get your $50 back when you turn in your library card. No arrest warrants. No stealing by failing to return something.[/citation]
And Those living on the streets who can't afford a deposit and wish to read?

G

Blaming the cops for this mess is just ridiculous, if a judge issues a valid warrant and a police officer refuses to serve it the officer could also be facing charges.

I think it has already been pointed out, but perhaps it needs reiterating, the arrest was for failure to appear in court. I don't know about Littleton but in VA you don't see that unless personal service was made on a prior summons for court.

It sounds to me like there may be more to the story. My guess would be that a sheriff's deputy knocked on little johnny's door several months earlier, handed him a summons for court and little Johnny said "it's just a dvd, what could they possibly do to me? I'm not spending all day in court for that!".

More then likely the charge was placed on a large overfull docket with many far more serious charges. When little Johnny's name was called and there was no answer the summons was placed in the "arrest warrant" pile with the rest of the no shows.

The fact that the charges were dismissed means that the DA most likely nolle prossed the charges. After all it sounds like he was in technical violation of the law.

Let me point out that in these types of charges the police have NO involvement outside of the service of process.

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Probably wasnt cost effective for a $30 dvd but I dont see why hes complaining if he refused to return the dvd even after he was summoned to appear in court.

mi1stormilst

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Yeah I used to work at a municipal court and I can tell you there is a lot of stuff going on that none of us would agree should be happening. Anyone ever heard of Photo Radar? How would you like getting a pictures taken of you speeding, never get notified, have a looser process server (who can't keep a real job) file papers in court claiming you have been official served when he actually handed papers to your 9 year old daughter after holding the door open. The the court proceeds to suspend your license and you land in jail on your way to work one day when you have never once been legally charged or notified about anything. To top it off when the guy gets to court the picture on the photo radar ticket is actually of his mother driving the car...true story.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
You can get an arrest record expunged, and the only time that the arrest would come up is if you were to apply for a government job or one that requires a security clearance - so big whoop.

I got arrested for waltzing into my gf's apartment uninvited where I was accustomed to being. Her stupid ex bf (or she was two timing) was sitting on the couch and jealously called the police after inviting me in.

This case too, is bull. I would think that if he's a minor its a moot point since minor's can't enter into a legal contract.

Really?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=house+of+flying+daggers

I'll buy you a blu-ray copy if you do me a favor and fire whoever was responsible for this crap. :)

seeker72

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
My childhood barbers son, also a barber, was taken out of the shop in cuffs on a Saturday afternoon and arrested for cutting hair on an expired barbers license. You know whoever came up with the term "pigs" when speaking of cops needs a pat on the back and a raise!

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
so typical.
My wife and i a few years back were going to a wedding.
she was driving and speeding 66 in 55.. anyway. Got pulled over... i was sleeping. so when she stopped.. and said "getting pulled" over.. the cop was very young.. still wet behind the ears. He took drivers license and blah blah went back to his vehicle. 30 minutes went by..my wife was like.. what the hell is taking so long.. so i started teasing her.. "he is going to ask you to step out of the vehicle" .. she said.. "shut up" i started laughing and singing.. "what u gonna do when they come for U bad boy's bad boy's"... and then.. the green horn walks up to our car.. tells my wife.. "mam i need you to step out of the vehicle please".. i just about shit myself.. apparently she had a warrant out on a 5 year old fricken parking ticket! He arrested her and handcuffed her right in front of our kids.. on a sunday afternoon for a $1.00 PARKING ticket!. I had to follow them to the station and bail her out - $275. A fricken parking ticket. How ridiculous is that. And the stupid thing is.. she wasn't even driving the car at the time of the ticket. Her friend had borrowed her car and went to a college to meet a friend.. and probably just tossed it in the trash.

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
The state Gov. getting poor. Need to get more money. Two years ago, State of Virgina issue $2,500 speeding tickets for people who drove 15/20 miles over the speed limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.