Temperature Problem w/ Laptop, recent 10-20 degree rise, fps being throttled

nitrogensnow2

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
My laptop has been working fine for the better part of a year, running games like overwatch at around 60 degrees in temperature with 60+ fps. I play with my laptop on a cooling stand that has fun running beneath it, so as to hopefully prevent this problem from arising, which it did anyway.

Recently (past 2 months), the temperature has been rising and now when I play overwatch my temperature reaches about 70-80 degrees, and if it goes above 80 my fps gets throttled so that it drops below 80 degrees again, resulting me in playing with huge fps drops dropping as low as 20 fps (from 60). Other games, such as worms revolution and minecraft that would otherwise run fine now run at a constant sub-20 fps even if it's just booting up the game, I can only assume it's related to the same thing.

I have checked the inside of my laptop and there is no dust inside as I was ready to assume. The fans were clear. The only dust I had to clear was on the cooling stand it was sitting on, but that's all gone now as well. I recently installed realtemp to try and work out what the problem was, and my computer seems to be coasting on around 52 degrees with just google chrome open, I'm not sure if that's normal as I didn't see the temperature it was beforehand. I only know that it's increased because I had the temperature option displayed in the top left when playing overwatch.

Upon looking online, I saw some people also suggest to change the fan speed, but if my computer allows me to do that I don't know how to do it as I've checked the BIOS and nvidia control panel and there's no setting that allows me to have that much control. Some people also suggested running anti-virus, which I did but I found no threats.

If there's anything you think I can do please suggest it and I will look into it with the best of my ability. Thank you in advance, I tried to be as detailed as possible.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 2.3 GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970M
RAM: 8GB

The OS is installed on a 128 gb SSD, and almost everything else is on a 1TB hard drive, not sure if this helps but just sharing.

Solution

i see.if thats the case then yes send them in for repasting and also if you can find a good thermal paste like artic silver mx4 i suggest to use that as the paste.

nitrogensnow2

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Okay, I don't have thermal paste and I'm not sure what a heatsink is, do they do this service at a computer repair shop? I'd rather pay money than accidentally screw something up myself.

i see.if thats the case then yes send them in for repasting and also if you can find a good thermal paste like artic silver mx4 i suggest to use that as the paste.

Solution