Tesla Motors Finally Turns a Profit

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcavv

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
i have to say that after the track test this car sucks, for 3 i belive none did more than 55miles on track with 1 charge and the flaws that the guys had, i believe we have to go green, but all the measures must be taken in attention... what will you do with the bateries, send them to the pacific next to those already large square miles that we have there?! stop buying v8's and 5.6 and 5 liters and buy toyotas or hondas... it will more efficient and cheaper than teslas... let them work in something reliable enough and easy to charge and that dont send garbase to the ocean... the amount of energy needed to produce those bateries is insane... i will go green on these cars when they can make them reliable, easy to charge and the process of making and disposing them is GREEN ALSO.. dont let them blind you WITH GREEN EVERYWHERE look behind the scenes... ask questions search the internet before talking about GREEN!

dmwright

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]As a matter of Fact lets look at this recharge time in a longer term.I have had my present car for 4 years and have 130000 KM on it. If i had to charge this POS for 45mins every 392km in the last 4 years my car would have been charging for 249 hours!! over 10 days of charging... I got better things to do.[/citation]

I'm guessing in the future most Parking lots will have recharging posts. In other words, you'll rent the parking space, and option to rent a charge while your shopping, or at your workplace. Isn't too expensive to install 6000 plugins for a parking lot. Compared to opening up "Electric Gas Stations".

dmwright

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Edit : Installing electrical outlets would be quite easily done, since buildings are already hooked up. As I'm not an electrician, Logically I would find this very easily distributed, since it would be a marketing point.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]eodeo[/nom]That idea worked perfectly when mr Ford thought of it, and it worked marvelously for his T and than quite some time after that. It worked like a charm with a 100 cars. It worked pretty well with a 1000. When that number reached into hundreds of 1000, people made more roads, and made them wider. They made highways, and bypasses. There's a very famous book about building bypasses. It was so popular they made a movie about it- the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. There they went so far to demolish Earth because it was in a way of new bypass.And the wide roads and bypasses worked well too... for a while. Then the number of cars went to millions and then hundreds of millions and until the wide roads and the bypasses no longer worked. People simply ran out of space. So they thought of new model of transportation. And this new model was fine too... for a while.So, until we get back to the future, I'll wait for cars prices to normalize before considering purchasing one. Cars are so simple to make that even humans could do it... and so they do, albeit unrealistically pricey, for my taste.Its good if you had fun. so did I[/citation]

Although you are perfectly entitled to your opinion that cars are overpriced, I believe you will be disappointed that cars will most likely never reach the price point of $1000 in the near future. You could make a gold cart for that money, but not our current definition of car. Cars aren't like computers. Computers have drastically decreased in price compared to their overall power. That was because breakthrough is silicon efficiency and manufacturing techniques. Cars, on the other hand, have become somewhat of a commodity item. Only superficial differences separate one car from the other. Performance differs car to car, but overall they are all similar in design. Basically, it is a mature product. That said, cars are not that simple. Making a car does require expensive equipment as well as years of R&D. Vehicles have to be tested to ensure their safety. Remember, vehicles have to go 100 mph reliably. Not an easy feat to accomplish. So, sorry, you may never get a car because your price expectations are a bit low, but who knows, maybe Tata will release a $1000 car. Their current cheapest is $2500. I think you are being sarcastic and are just having some fun, but if not, consider that a bus cost $100,000 dollars to make. Someone has to pay for it, and that's you every time your ride it. In the end, public transportation may be cheaper, but the vehicle still cost money. So, if you are being honest about your thoughts, consider a moped. Cheap, good fuel economy, and makes parking a breeze. Does don't have to high expectation for it. It might disappoint you. Good luck :)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
A few issues...
First, I don't care if they're impractical, expensive etc. I want one.
Secondly, mass production of electric cars would force better electric generation.
Thiirdly, if you run out of fuel and forgot your cash, you're screwed. You forget in this, you just carry an extension cable with you.
Fourthly, carbon emissions are blown out of bounds. Plants use more carbon dioxide the more we produce. Plants hate our current measily 1% CO2 atmospheric pureity, we're starving them. We can't prevent climate change forever, so we eventually have to prepare to adapt anyways.
Quintly, the more that is invested into these cars, the more innovation we will see.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Greg_77[/nom]Although you are perfectly entitled to your opinion that cars are overpriced, I believe you will be disappointed that cars will most likely never reach the price point of $1000 in the near future. You could make a gold cart for that money, but not our current definition of car. Cars aren't like computers. Computers have drastically decreased in price compared to their overall power. That was because breakthrough is silicon efficiency and manufacturing techniques. Cars, on the other hand, have become somewhat of a commodity item. Only superficial differences separate one car from the other. Performance differs car to car, but overall they are all similar in design. Basically, it is a mature product. That said, cars are not that simple. Making a car does require expensive equipment as well as years of R&D. Vehicles have to be tested to ensure their safety. Remember, vehicles have to go 100 mph reliably. Not an easy feat to accomplish. So, sorry, you may never get a car because your price expectations are a bit low, but who knows, maybe Tata will release a $1000 car. Their current cheapest is $2500. I think you are being sarcastic and are just having some fun, but if not, consider that a bus cost $100,000 dollars to make. Someone has to pay for it, and that's you every time your ride it. In the end, public transportation may be cheaper, but the vehicle still cost money. So, if you are being honest about your thoughts, consider a moped. Cheap, good fuel economy, and makes parking a breeze. Does don't have to high expectation for it. It might disappoint you. Good luck[/citation]

Interesting...
Though it is sickening how many millions are thrown at my city's lgiht rail train system every year (system sucks, city of only a million).
Though the idea of a moped is nice, but I have been considering a bike (not a crotchrocket or a chopper either...), though insurance for those with a youth is mad...

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I'll stick with my evo. I'm worried that electric cars don't have sufficient capability in colder climates. Plus when everyone else goes green gas will be a cheap comodity again.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I would like to add, a Porsche is not only about speed. It's a car that has been purpose built for quality (build, handling, design, etc) and safety first. I have my doubts that tesla could ever meet this aspect of automobile craftsmanship in a few years.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Remember, vehicles have to go 100 mph reliably. Not an easy feat to accomplish.
Is that supposed to be a tough limit to reach?

If I'm not mistaken most road signs anywhere won't let you go faster than a crawl in hope you don't hit another enthusiast owning his own pricey car, making up crowd of sound and air polluters.

consider that a bus cost $100,000 dollars to make

You do know that it doesn't, right? It costs that much to purchase. It costs a fractions fraction to actually build. Ignoring all the licensing and other crap currently in place.

Interesting idea. but its not only me who'd have to get it. Its the whole city or no one. As it is, if I did get it, it would be just adding to the uncontrollable crowd.

I'm going to guess you live in one of those suburbs near a big metropolitan city where no one actually lives, but many work. a car is a must in that scenario, and I guess I can see paying for more than a 1k$ for it than.

If, on the other hand you live IN a big city with.. say with at least a half a million people, you'd see where I'm coming from.

Number of people, and number of cars is just going up. It doesn't take a genius to see that we're reaching a point where the whole community will lock itself in an endless traffic jam if something is not done.

My idea of a 1000$ car might seem counter intuitive here, but it really isnt. Private cars can't be using within the city limits, but all should be free to go to the lake/mountain/park, .... (somewhere else) and you get there in (your) car. No reason for that car to be overpriced- electric, fossil or flying.

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I would get one if I could afford one. And I would get one NOT because of this green and carbon-footprint nonsense. I would get one ONLY because it's more electronics and less car. That's the only reason why I got my Prius... that and because it's a hassle going to the gas station.

G

Wow, settle down. Here's some fact for y'all:

'Cost' has very little to do with 'sale price' for anything, especially luxury items like sports cars and musical instruments. Do you think that PRS guitar really 'cost' $3000?

You guys all obviously read tom's, so you all know about being an 'early adopter'. Also alot of people wouldn't pay more than $300 for a new PC, but I bet everyone on this site does, heck they may have even dumped a couple of grand to be maximum a year or 2 ahead of the curve. Also this car's been in dev for 10 years, the traditional type has been in dev for 90 odd? I bet as many people laughed at Henry Ford from their horse drawn carts. Cars for eveybody, what a joke. People laughed when my dad bought a cd player in 1988.

It's waaaaay too obvious now that we need to find alternate means of powering cars, not to mention being green. Those last bastion of people that deny this are like moon landing sceptics. Soon you'll be extinct or in the matrix feeding our alternate reality.

G

I have problems seeing merit in some of these critics. First the range. I could be wrong but for most people 200 miles is more than enough in a day's commute. (That's over 2 hours of driving every day. Sucks to be you if that's what you need to do). As far as charging, you could plug it in to charge at night. 8 hours should be more than enough time to charge it up. Unless of course somehow you don't sleep! I don't see this car being used for cross-country driving but it's perfect for use in the city. Besides, you don't want to use a sports car for cross-country driving anyhow. It will just suck gas down like a hog and cause far more pollution than it's worth. The other point is sports cars are NOT fuel efficient which means they use even more gas than a typical car and cause more pollution. This car is also likely to be more reliable due to there being far fewer parts.

greg512

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]eodeo[/nom]Is that supposed to be a tough limit to reach?If I'm not mistaken most road signs anywhere won't let you go faster than a crawl in hope you don't hit another enthusiast owning his own pricey car, making up crowd of sound and air polluters.You do know that it doesn't, right? It costs that much to purchase. It costs a fractions fraction to actually build. Ignoring all the licensing and other crap currently in place.Interesting idea. but its not only me who'd have to get it. Its the whole city or no one. As it is, if I did get it, it would be just adding to the uncontrollable crowd.I'm going to guess you live in one of those suburbs near a big metropolitan city where no one actually lives, but many work. a car is a must in that scenario, and I guess I can see paying for more than a 1k$ for it than.If, on the other hand you live IN a big city with.. say with at least a half a million people, you'd see where I'm coming from. Number of people, and number of cars is just going up. It doesn't take a genius to see that we're reaching a point where the whole community will lock itself in an endless traffic jam if something is not done.My idea of a 1000$ car might seem counter intuitive here, but it really isnt. Private cars can't be using within the city limits, but all should be free to go to the lake/mountain/park, .... (somewhere else) and you get there in (your) car. No reason for that car to be overpriced- electric, fossil or flying.[/citation]

Sorry, you are right, a bus doesn't cost $100,000 to make. I was tired and wasn't thinking. It cost about that much to buy. None the less, getting a chunk of metal to go 100 mph may not seem all that impressive, but do you have any idea what kind of talent it took to do that reliably. You are incredibly unrealistic about the difficulty it takes to design something that complex. It takes people with advanced educations, complex software and, powerful computers. That's before you even build anything. Then you have to test it. You need a wind tunnel to test aerodynamics. That's just an example. It seems to me that you find the benefits of a car are only worth $1000. That's fine. Sadly, they can't be made that cheap if you want to maintain the current quality standards. If you live in a city, I understand why you wouldn't want a vehicle. It's costly in a city with parking and public transportation will get you almost anywhere. Just realize you will probably never own a car with your expectations.

G

a 45 minute full recharge is from a 480v source and they might even be reffering to the 160mi battery (remember they're marketing with everything they say)

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Greg_77[/nom]It is not faster than a "Porsche". Porsches can go up to 200 mph. Even the Boxter goes 186 mph. I believe the Tesla goes 160 mph. I would still prefer it to a Porsche, but since I can afford neither, I guess thats a moot point. Actually, you said it is faster than a "Porcshe" so you may be right. Never heard of that car[/citation]

No stock porsche goes 200.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]spanspace[/nom]No stock porsche goes 200.[/citation]

The Porsche Carrera GT and 911 GT2 go past 200 mph. They are stock models and road legal.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]KyleSTL[/nom]Top speed is not the only way a car is fast, I believe the Tesla has a better 0-60 than most road-going Porsches, however, I too would prefer a Cayman or Cayman S over these.[/citation]
Car guy rule Fast=Top Speed Quick=Acceleration

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
car are only worth $1000. That's fine. Sadly, they can't be made that cheap if you want to maintain the current quality standards.

I agree. for a 1000$ i expect a lot higher standard than one provided at the moment. That is why I said, if a car were ~1000$ I'd consider buying it.

Just realize you will probably never own a car with your expectations.

Never is such a long time to say ~5 years. I expect that much for the fossil fuels to be next to depleted and they roll out some actual cars- better quality, higher reliability and fraction of the current cost. When that happens, I'd consider getting one. This Tesla car is on the right track, which is why I commented in the first place.

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Is it more or less of a hassle than spending 4 hours to charge it at home only, minimum, instead of 3 minutes absolutely anywhere.http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tec [...] times.html[/citation]

4 or even 8hrs of charging is irrelevant to me as it will be done while i sleep. For long road trips or emergency drives during sleepy time, I've got another car I can use. I'm sure for those who get a Tesla, it would not be their one and only vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.