Tested: The Five Best Android 3.1 Tablets

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjacobus

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
Thanks for the review. I was looking for an Android tablet and was going to buy the Galaxy Tab 10.1. After reading this review I ended up buying the Acer Iconia Tab a500. I wasn't familiar with it before. The $100 savings over the Galaxy Tab was nice. After using the Acer for a while, I really like it. I don't thing the extra weight is that big a deal considering you get the USB, HDMI, & SD storage.

G

I have bought the samsung 10.1 tab in gran canaria but have had to change it 5 times due to a fault inside the screen I am very upset I really do like it. I paid 525 euros for it from media mart in gran canaria, please someone help me should I try again or buy an I pad 2, problem is I have been told android system is better. Has anyone else had this problem with samsung its a,mark in the middle of the screen like an oil or water mark this is not normal, for the money I have paid or is it just a faulty batch here. I dont know, but now have to change it again. For the 5th tume

masterjere

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
These can have all the difference in the world from the iPad & iPad2's and of course the Samsung's, or the Verizon's.... But until theirs a 200 dollar price difference, I'm really not interested! lol!

G

Thank you SO MUCH for citing the Acer Iconia's game winning sound. I dumped my Transformer inside of a month for it and haven't looked back since.

G

@masterjere...I agree with you. That's why despite all the "bloatware" bashing and average reviews, when I found a 32GB Ideapad K1 for $299, I went for it. When you consider you can delete any of the software you don't want, it's not your typical bloatware. Also, I'd bet there's at least $10-15 worth of paid software on there that's worth keeping for most folks. I don't have any complaints about the ideapad...it's not as light or vibrant as the samsung, but my wallet is much heavier as a result

G

Ok, it's been a long time since this review was written. I bought an Iconia A500 2 weeks ago, refurb. Love the unit, but as was mentioned, the mic is awful for Skype. Plus the WIFI reception is very poor. These two problems are show stoppers and the unit will go back.

I really like the USB and SD ports.

I just bought a Thrive yesterday- with the full size SD. Doesn't everyone have SD memory in their camera's these days? I love being able to pop out the SD from my camera, drop into the tab to view pix just taken on vacation. Plus I can clean off the camera SD as needed, although with memory sizes these days, that's not as much a concern anymore.

Thickness, etc seem to be minor points if functionality is what you're looking for. Let's face it, these tablets are "want" toys, not "need" toys. I had a tough time justifying this purchase. It's fun, but hardly necessary. All this stuff can be done on a laptop with more function speed and capability...

So far, the Thrive looks to be a keeper. I have 30 days to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.