The $10,000 Virtual Window You Won't Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkknight22

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I'm a bigger fan of the guy that rigged up the window to change the viewpoint based on where you are standing. This looks like a way overpriced knockoff.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]Arguggi[/nom]Well you could add a bitten apple somewhere and probably someone would buy it[/citation]

They'd sell like hotcakes, even with the outrageous price and lack of features! XD

G

I've seen this thing in action. A rep came to our office to show us this system. There is more to it than just the TV- they provide content and the lovely window frame, don't forget.

It was kinda of laughable at the time, too. I would not recommend this to any of my clients.

Xaios

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Tom's, I gotta ask. If you believe that this thing is a useless waste of money, and you also think your readership will view it as a useless waste of money...

WHY ARE YOU REPORTING IT??

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
$10K! I just don't see how. Even if you splurge on the T.V., let's say $2K, and you hire a general contractor to mount the thing properly (hide the wires, put together the frame, etc...) and you pay him $2.5K to $3K you are still way below what these jokers are asking. I admit I think I am high-balling my quotes here for T.V. and custom install. You could very well do a lot of the work yourself and save thousands...just ridiculous.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
The demo I saw of this was two screens, the view was of "real" scenery... The golden gate bridge, Niagra Falls or whatever, not just some waterfall right outside the window. There was a sensor to detect the viewer and the screen moved the environment all 3-D like to give u the perception that you were actually looking out into the scenery. It wasn't static, but followed you as you went as scenery does when you move past.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Wasn't the Microsoft Table PC $10,000? I would much rather have that than this overpriced piece of crap.

Then again, integrated windows with realistic views that change based on where you are in the room...now that would be cool (not worth the money still tho).

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I bought 2 of these and placed them in my bedroom. however, they're not showing the beach or rain forest. I usually use them to display space and pretend I'm Luke Skywalker.
Other times I just look out the vWindows at the Playboy mansion and wave to all the ladies.

domenic

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
A few of these strategically placed in a room, some actuators under the floor, and some cool motion graphics would make an interesting (theme-park) ride.

thecamba

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Doesn't anyone remember Back To The Future 2? In the future, houses will have them, and they will break. Then we get the repair guy to come over to fix it, he will only call us a chicken and we will throw him out of the house, never to get the thing fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.