The 10-bit problem.

AYP

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015
About an year back we were looking for a new TV. We finally had to decide between a 55 inch Samsung FHD and a 49 inch 4k tv. I insisted on the 4k, it being the new technology and all. Now when slowly but surely as more and more 4k contents(movies and tv shows) are coming up, most of them require 10-bit panel. My TV can only support 8-bit videos.

So basically I want to get around this problem. I have the following questions-

1. Can the upcoming 4k players play the 10 bit movies on my 8 bit panel?

2. The recently showcased samsung 4k player had a usb support too. Will that enable me to run the 10-bit videos via usb?

3. Can I run 4k, 10-bit videos via hdmi through a capable laptop?

here are the specs of my tv (lg ub820t)-
hdmi 2.0 (4k@60 hz at 4:2:0,i.e. 8 bit)

hdcp 2.2 support

hevc support for 4k@30 hz

So basically the major thing which is missing is the 10 bit chroma sub-sampling.
The model is similar as the american lg ub8200.
Thank you.

Solution
Since your have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 you will be fine with any 4k sources. The 8 or 10 bit figure is processing hardware not part of the movie.
1. Yes
2. Maybe
3. Yes (the laptop may need to support HDMI 2.0)
It's hard to find specs on your TV but here is where I think you stand.
I don't think that the 8bit spec refers to the movies. I think it refers to the video processor for the panel. The 60hz refresh rate also refers to the panel not the movies. So these specs affect the quality of the picture but not the compatibility of the movie.
The big problem is if your TV doesn't have HDMI 2.0 or 2.0a, the HDMI standard for all 4k sources. Same connector but higher data rate. Can't be updated. You would also need HDCP 2.0 which is the copyguard standard for 4k material. Without this the TV won't show a picture. Also can't be updated.
This is a problem when you buy the latest tech before the manufacturers get their act together with the software.
You can connect your laptop to your TV with HDMI and try playing some 4k material. There will be some online.

AYP

Estimable
Dec 28, 2015

here are the specs of my tv-
hdmi 2.0 (4k@60 hz at 4:2:0,i.e. 8 bit)
hdcp 2.2 support
hevc support for 4k@30 hz
So basically the major thing which is missing is the 10 bit chroma sub-sampling.
The model is similar as the american lg ub8200.
How would you answer the 3 questions now.