The Apple Way Created Android, Says Nokia CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I think its natural to assume Apple created Android, but I also think Android would be here and just as popular without the iOS.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I can see some truth to his statements, but at the same time you could really say that about anything.

X caused Y which then caused Z to made.

But in reality it was more like this: google decided to make a phone OS. they look at apple to see what makes their OS so popular(besides apple zombies), then look at its flaws and what they think the market would like to have as an alternative. Boom android is born.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
If you look more closely at his comments, he's simply trying to put down the 2 biggest (and best) phone operating systems.

First, he criticises iOS - 'People decided they could not play in the Apple way'

(Yeah OK, Stephen, the best selling phone of all time came about because people didn't like it).

Then, he criticises Android - 'Google stepped in there and created Android… and others jumped on the Android train' - basically implying that Google just copied everything from Apple but made it open, and that others just jumped on a bandwagon.

Not a surprise really, given his position and the company he works for.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Symbian should have been Android, but Nokia messed it up. Similarly Windows Mobile should be an iOS, but again Microsoft has horribly managed it. Elop and Ballmer deserve each other and I wish them many more years of bungled product launches.

G

That is such a bonehead thing to say... Android as a platform was well underway before the iphone was ever anounced. Google purchased Android inc. to gear up for the project in 2005.

R6ex

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I'm looking forward to Nokia's Windows Phones. I need a new phone by end 2011. I like the idea that Windows Phone & Windows OS will be closely linked.

G

Apple broke down the high wall surrounding the smart phone market with a mixture of brilliant software and marketing, Android was probably in development at the same time as IOS, just started later on. While Android is a great product i don't think Google would have had any chance of gatecrashing the market in the way that it did without the iPhone, the heavy lifting was designing the right product AND selling to the mass market, for which Google didn't have the muscles

G

Elop is right that Apple created Android. But MS lack of details and lack of innovation created Iphone. MS had a huge advantage in the smartphone business, but they blew it.

beta tester

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
But Windows Phone 7 is the most closed OS the planet has ever seen, even more closed than iPhone.

Windows Phone uses DRM to lock it to the hardware, to prevent people tinkering. All content on the phone must go via Microsoft at Redmond, which is the reason why you cannot set a custom ringtone on a Windows Phone (because Microsoft wants to control all the ringtones itself).

If Elop wants to use Microsoft's failed Windows Phone OS, then so be it, but don't call it open.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]I can see some truth to his statements, but at the same time you could really say that about anything.X caused Y which then caused Z to made. But in reality it was more like this: google decided to make a phone OS. they look at apple to see what makes their OS so popular(besides apple zombies), then look at its flaws and what they think the market would like to have as an alternative. Boom android is born.[/citation]
I agree. But then again, if there's no Apple, Google did not have something to think about in improving, right?

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
A few other points, you know Elop spent most of his professional life in Microsoft.

Another irony, is that on desktops, Mac OS runs on an open kernel while Windows is closed.

If Elop was right, Linux would have a plurality of the desktop market.

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I think he's talking more *open* from a manufacturers view point, not necessarily the consumers. Who else gets to make a smartphone with iOS on after all?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]R6ex[/nom]I'm looking forward to Nokia's Windows Phones. I need a new phone by end 2011. I like the idea that Windows Phone & Windows OS will be closely linked.[/citation]

If Intel manage to get the Atom into the phone power budget it could get really interesting, imagine running the same x86 windows software on both computer and mobile - Now that would be cool to say the least! I have a hard time to imagine a better foundation to snatch market shares from the competition!

It will be interesting to see how the phone market looks in say 2-3 years from now! Who will be dominant and who will have faded into the shadows!?

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]lyesmith[/nom]Elop is right that Apple created Android. But MS lack of details and lack of innovation created Iphone. MS had a huge advantage in the smartphone business, but they blew it.[/citation]
Depends on your interpretation of "created". Google purchased Android Inc. in 2005, a company that was well known to be creating phone software and well before anyone had even heard of iOS. Google accelerated the development process and the first beta of Android came out late 2007, a few months after the first version of iOS. iOS may have inspired Android, very likely considering 1.0 came out late September 2008, but Apple certainly did not create Android if we're going by the strict meaning of the word.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]JYA[/nom]Android is juts a copy of the iOS.[/citation]
Last time I've checked, Android didn't restrict access to my files.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
But smartphones have existed way before the iPhone. There were PDAs with phone capabilities known as PocketPC, later came phones from Palm. Nokia also came with some intelligent models. Many of such devices could be flashed with Linux. So it's hard for me to understand what exactly was invented with the iPhone.

Perhaps the introduction of the iPhone with its AppStore created a market for such phone even though the technology had been there for a while.

The innovation with Android is that it is based from off Linux. MeeGo is also a very interesting option in this regard because it is adapted for phones and tablets, it can run Android apps via Dalvik and it is fully open with a Linux userland which Android is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS