The BlackBerry ''Blackpad'' to Take on Apple iPad?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]tethoma[/nom]I used Blackboard in school, and it crashes all the time.[/citation]
Did you update to the latest firmware?

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003

When have they ever created a new segment from scratch? :heink:
All of their products are derivatives of other products. The CrunchPad was far more influential in starting this market than the iPad, Apple just took that idea and marketed it, which is all they ever do, market other people's good ideas, most notably most of the good ideas from Xerox PARC.

Perhaps some apads or this 'blackpad' will in fact be superior to the iPad in some ways, but remember that they owe their very existence to the iPad,

Nope they all owe their existance to other products before them, including the Crunchpad, Kindle and everything else that broke ground before them, and that's only the recent 4 or 5th iteration, with the Fujitsu Stylistic I owned before that, the Newton before that, and then the Xerox and IBM tablet products before that.

you have to see that they are an incredibly powerful driving force, and they sure spur innovation and competition.

They don't spur innovation and have alot less patents to show for it than people like IBM, Xerox, intel, Samsung, etc.
But they are a powerful driving force for, and a testament to... PR and marketing, which is why their fanbois and other ignorant people think they are innovative. Even their 'cutting-edge designs' are re-adaptation of things like Braun's designs from the 60s;
http://gizmodo.com/343641/1960s-braun-products-hold-the-secrets-to-apples-future

I'd wager that today, even the apple haters own at least one device that would not exist without Apple.

I'd take that wager, but you'd still think you'd won it despite being totally wrong! [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I guess what I like most about this device is that it doesn't have an apple-shaped logo on the back of it. Don't know how the rest of it compares, but so far it doesn't look terrible.

G

RIM's core market is Enterprise and there's a lot of IT departments that already support BB products. If RIM can release a tablet that ties in nicely with that system, and offers companies some decent enterpise software, they could own the enterpise tablet market.

----------------------------
http://www.blackpadforums.net

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Inneandar[/nom]'This is just a mockup'Does any of you actually ever read the article:s[/citation]

No. Not when anything related to Apple or Apple products are mentioned. The fanboys scroll straight to the comments section to deliver their usual nonsense. I guess you haven't been reading Tom's for a very long time.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Just to rub Apple noses in it, the "Pad" moniker was used by IBM first with the Thinkpad range of laptops, more recently done by Lenovo. Tablets in general have been available for general usage for 10 years. This formfactor has existed since the Kindle. The smartphone has been around for years with multiple vendors. The MP3 player was around before the iPod (and the interface it uses was stolen from Creative). The Apple logo was stolen from the Beatles. They stole the Mouse & GUI from Xerox.

The only thing magical about Apple is the way they can bend the laws of reality to make people think they innovate when they do a very good PR job of theft, smoke and mirrors.

gazfast

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Apple have the happy knack of making difficult things appear reall simple, something PC manufacturers - quite possibly due to Microsoft - struggle with.
A good example is DTP, Pagemaker and Indesign are ideal on Apple, but frustrating on PC.
Same goes with iPod, iPhone and now iPad, nothing new, but really well packaged for humans.
Having said that, Blackberry has the business market sewn up, admit work blackberry craps all over personal iPhone for business, but give me a iPhone for when it is my time, I think the same will go for 'BlackPad' when it is released, it will have business users, iPad will have after hours users.

dredj

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]also, 'blackpad'? seriously? i do hope this isn't true...[/citation]

Would you prefer Padberry?

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]TheGreatGrapeApe[/nom] with the Fujitsu Stylistic I owned before that, [/citation]

I also had a Stylistic tablet. I used it with Microsoft Streets and maps and gps. I had a ten inch gps when others were spending the same ammount of money for a handheld garmin pos. Loved that tablet. Except for the air bubble.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]Inneandar[/nom]'This is just a mockup'Does any of you actually ever read the article:s[/citation]
You have to hover over the picture to see the "This is just a mockup" message.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]No. Not when anything related to Apple or Apple products are mentioned. The fanboys scroll straight to the comments section to deliver their usual nonsense.[/citation]
And so do the Apple haters.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I just want to know why Blackberry thinks the tablet market is a good business for them to get into. Given that their products tend to be business oriented I think they would best serve their customers coming out with products for, well their customers.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Clearly it's in Fine print, and you know nobody reads fine print anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.