The framerate of games won't lock to 60 fps

May 3, 2018
Hi, everyone.

It's strange but since a few weeks the framerate of most of the games I play is never fixed to 60 fps. I'm referring especially to steam games, such as Towerfall, Portal 2 or Streets of Rogue. Sometimes it goes to 120 fps or to 4000 fps, sometimes it's stable, sometimes it's not. (It depends of the application itself, and if the vsync is activated.) In a few games, like Push me pull you or Hidden in plain sight, the framerate is normally locked.
I tried to reinstall the nvidia drivers and steam itself but it doesn't change anything. I also tried to reinstall linux itself, it's still the same. And I'm on dual boot with Windows 10 and when I play with the same games, on it, the framerate is also going wild. So I'm guessing that it has to do with a technology of one of the components of my computer, the kind that I could change in the bios. I tried to deactivate the hyperthreading for example but it didn't change anything. I don't really know what to do (and I'm a bit afraid to try by myself, since it has to do with the bios).
I have a "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050" for gpu and "Intel Core i7-7700HQ" for cpu. I'm using Linux Mint 18.3. (This is a recent laptop, i bought it like 2 or 3 months ago.)

Thanks in advance for any help. I don't know if this is really the good forum for that problem but since I have difficulties to understand the nature of the problem I chose to try here.

SugarPsycho

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015
Most games don't "lock" the framerate they put a limiter on it. A good example is minecraft it allows you to adjust the limiter there are many limiters online (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raEg3GiT57I here is one I found). This should prevent it from going above the designated framerate.

May 3, 2018

Thank you for you answer, but I don't understand why I would have to use another software when it's been years that my games works very well on both OSs, and then suddenly the framerate has a problem. I think using another software would be like a laborious and annoying solution where the problem is probably related to something else. (I would have to install and configure a software like the one you said, on each of my OSs, and reconfigure them each time I reinstall an OS, etc that's laborious.)

TRENDING THREADS