The Fuel Cell Power Pack That Fits in Your Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

gglawits

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Oh, it's probably safe alright - but will one be ALLOWED to take it on board of an airplane? In the carry-on luggage? In checked luggage? Both? Neither?

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]thrust2night[/nom]Now lets get some of this on phones and laptops and we're talking major shifts in consumer lifestyles.[/citation]

To what end? It still takes traditional fossil-fuel sources of energy to create the HYDROstiks. So, at the end of the day, I really don't see the point.

You can go to instructables.com and get directions on how to make a cell-phone/gadget charger that runs of easily-obtained alkaline batteries. Or, like maigo said, spend $20 on a car charger.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
This is just dumb... I thought the whole idea of a Hydrogen fuel cell was to have a massive amount of power in a very small container. If each 'shtick' contained a 1000 hours of power for $5 then they would be on to something. I want something that cost $100 fits in the palm of my hand and I can power my laptop for 100 hours on it. Then when it runs out of juice I can have my own hydrogen tank to refill it with, not be stuck with having to buy their product over and over and over again. Not to mention do I just throw these sticks away when they are empty, so causing more trash in our dumps.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
That thing's larger than 15 watt-hours of lithium ion rechargeables. And the latter can already pump out at least 15 watts. Very inefficient choice of fuel for the fuel cell, methinks.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Give me something I can hook up to a propane tank or methane line or fill up with methanol or ethanol and then I might be interested.

Hydrogen is uninteresting unless they have an optional electrolysis device I can use to refill the tanks.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Many good points are made here.

1. You can build or even buy a portable charger. There is a L-ion one that is a fair bit smaller then this. And there are some from Zap that take 4 AA batteries(There is no voltage regulation, so non rechargeable may overload some devices). I have one I got under the NOMA brand($9 with 4 cheap batteries) and some Eneloops under the Sony(cycle energy) name. I must say it works well and since they batteries are low self discharge, i can leave it unused for long periods of time without it dieing on me.

2. I do also think this is great. The price and size will come down. In the future, i can see this being a good unit in the future with a little work.

Spike53

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
If fuel cells work by harvesting the energy in the reaction of hydrogen and oxygen (which makes water), if you keep this in your pocket wouldn't you get a wet mark after a while or does it have water storage?

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]cammmy[/nom]I think this is great. Even if it's not that amazing now, imagine where the technology could go.[/citation]
Agreed it needs some time before we can consider it truly superior to what we have now. whih if you think about is true about alot of these "alternative energy" products

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Fail. The need to buy replacement juice packs all the time makes it extremely uneconomical. You'll be throwing out hundreds each year on just replenishing the energy.

A smarter choice - $130 buys you an Energizer XP18000 battery pack. Able to hold a charge for up-to a year, rechargeable around 500 times, and can deliver 18,000mAh - that's enough juice to power a netbook for over 20 hours or recharge a smartphone 8-9 times. Small, light and works with pretty much anything.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Nope, definitely not willing to pay for cartridges. Where are the ethanol fuel cells promised years ago?? I'd rather fill up the cell with than keep replacing cartridges...

But I can see the manufacturer's appeal for cartridges. It's been done for years by Printer suppliers and it's called extortion.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
LOL what is up with all these startups shooting themselves in the foot? This little thing is awesome all the way up until the part where you have to keep buying energy cartridges. Energizer already makes throw-away energy cartridges. So basically, these guys are going into the battery business against Energizer, Duracell, etc.

That's like breaking into the semiconductor industry. You need one hell of a gameplan to take down Intel. These guys have no such gameplan.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]To what end? It still takes traditional fossil-fuel sources of energy to create the HYDROstiks. So, at the end of the day, I really don't see the point. You can go to instructables.com and get directions on how to make a cell-phone/gadget charger that runs of easily-obtained alkaline batteries. Or, like maigo said, spend $20 on a car charger.[/citation]

not unless solar energy is used to produce the hydrogen...

Status
Not open for further replies.