The Future of Wireless Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImagineTek

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Great article, thanks.

Couldn't help thinking that putting a pan down on a plain worktop to cook, then picking it up, wiping it off an putting a lamp on it that just lit up would have freaked my nan out :)

KingArcher

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
What happens when a person with rods inserted into their arms or legs comes into the field of the wireless-chargers? Do they get pulled in or pushed away?
Do the metal rods heat up inside their body?
[Assuming they have a chargeable device in their pocket, or a frying pan in one hand ;)]

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
i read an article not too long ago about how tesla planned to send power over the atlantic ocean using thunderstorms and the earth's magnetic field. sadly, he ran out of funding. I'd freak if someone with his brains and a lot more dough came along and finished some of his ideas.

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Tesla did 23 miles wirelessly in 1890 in Colarado... and his funding only pulled the plug because they couldnt put a meter on it(aka charge people)

marybranscombe

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
@illo - yes, the question of charging for charging put a lot of roadblocks in Tesla's way '-)

@King - all the different systems are going through safety testing; as many of them are based on resonant magnetic fields the metal pins would have to be tuned to the same resonance to do more than cause interference and reduce efficiency. Systems that receive data as well as power check for interference and interruption (and the PowerBeam system diverts interrupted beams into safe directions).

G

So you need to charge your smartphone, but you can't send a text message because its dead, are you SOL? Did someone miss a critical point here?

"Want to unlock an airport phone charging surface while you wait for your plane? There'll be an app for that - or you might just send a text message that unlocks access."

G

TESLA TESLA TESLA this reeks of TESLA I never seen a problem with FREE power this is old tech remanufactured to make money

Status
Not open for further replies.