The Google Pixel 6 Pro could be Galaxy S22 Ultra’s worst nightmare

Oct 27, 2021
I'll be getting the s22 ultra Google hasn't done enough to tempt me away from my favorite brand and I really like that the s22 ultra will have the s pen

Paradroid888

Prominent
Mar 7, 2020
I very nearly went for the Pixel 6 Pro but decided to wait for the S22. My preference would be the rumoured S22 Pro which is top spec but a smaller size than the Ultra. That appeals to me, I don't like phones at the Ultra size.

On the camera side, I would say that computational is just one aspect of photography, and while the Pixel photographs are technically impressive, they look quite artificial to my eyes. I couldn't really explain it but MKBHD discusses it and he thinks it is the HDR processing being too strong. With a Pixel camera it would be hard to photograph a silhouette against the sun - the Pixel would show the detail of the object instead of just the black outline as intended.. Samsung and Apple cameras take photos that look more realistic then the Pixel 6 does at the moment. Samsung also has a Pro mode where you can control shutter speed and even metering. Pixel phones don't have this.

There are also a few reviews pointing out issues with the Pixel 6 battery life. This may well be software issues that get patched soon, but again, I'd rather wait for the S22 to launch then decide.

Oct 29, 2021
I've been in the market for a new phone as well. Currently, I have a Samsung S10, but had an LG G5 before that. I like the size of the S10 and I'm looking for a pocketable phone that isn't too big, but has the best benchmarks, security, and features. First, I almost went with the Samsung Z Flip 3, because I like the idea of it being pocketable , but decided against it due to the phone's crease, no telephoto, no samsung dex, and questionable long term reliability (e.g. glass is always stronger). Then noticed the Pixel 6 Pro and was planning to get that and I would if it were not for the optical fingerprint sensor ... really, they should ban these on phones due to them being one of the lowest forms of bio metric security. The LG G5 I felt had the best fingerprint sensor out of the phones I've owned. It was placed on the back of the phone, naturally where the index finger would be and used a capacitive fingerprint sensor, which is more secure than optical and works a lot faster. Even on the ultrasonic from the S10 I have issues with it detecting sometimes and it's not natural for it to be on the front (e.g. glass)... I mean why is it important to put it under the glass, just because you can? Also, it has issues with battery life as MKBHD pointed out, but that can be solved via OTA update. I'd take the Pixel 6 pro in a heartbeat if it as it was but with a capacitive fingerprint sensor on the back and I'd wait till they provide a software update that fixes the odd picture capturing sometimes (see MKBHD video onit) and battery life. Currently, my plan is to wait and see what the S22 offering is.

Google if you are looking at this, here's the Samsung killer idea:
  • Start with Pixel 6 pro (I like the 12GB of RAM, CPU/GPU benchmark is OK, but could be better, call screen / image editing is a great idea, flash sizes offered are good 128GB should be the lowest)
  • Fix the battery consumption issue, (software, you have the mAH but you're wasting it on something )
  • Fix the image quality problem of odd looking photos and viewfinder not matching image (software, sensors are good)
  • Reduce the telemetry data and be transparent about it (maybe a Pixel only feature) ... this could help in the battery life department.
  • Remove under display and add capacitive fingerprint sensor on the back... Why did we ever move away from this? Now you can put any screen protector on you want and not have the security flaws of an optical sensor, it works faster, and it's not in a weird position. Even though LG is gone, they did have some good ideas time to time.
  • Add a desktop mode that similar to the Samsung Dex environment. Maybe call it ChromeOS desktop or Android Desktop?
  • Sell a USB-C dock for it and market it as someone could replace their PC with it
  • Have a screen size that's similar to the S10 standard but still has all the same hardware. You could have different screened models like Apple does.
  • Add a secure face ID method to try to get Apple users over
  • If you've added face ID, you could have a dual auth part for sections of the phone using both face and thumbprint... such as opening certain apps or accessing certain folders or settings/app store/purchases.
  • You could add YubiKey for part of that dual auth as well