The iPhone 6 Cometh Sept 9 (Reports)

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
The article reads like Apple is trying hard to catch up with the other manufacturers, sometimes successfully (implementing NFC), sometimes not (that screen resolution is still ages behind).

Intervenator

Honorable
May 3, 2013
This whole pixel race is ridiculous. Why add more pixels (which will decrease battery life substantially) when you can't even physically see a difference?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
The article reads like Apple is trying hard to catch up with the other manufacturers, sometimes successfully (implementing NFC), sometimes not (that screen resolution is still ages behind).
Outside of something like NFC, which I've never really found a practical use for, what do they really have to catch up on? I agree that in terms of form factor, Apples simply doesn't offer the options and variety I'd like to see, but I also doubt there's much catching up to be done in this area. It doesn't take much to simply bring a larger high-performance mobile device to market. It frees up additional TDP headroom, there's more physical space for higher capacity batteries... in fact I would say it's more difficult to make a smaller high-performance smartphone than a larger one. This has been the most recognizable trend on Android for several generations now, and it's also a trend I haven't been particularly fond of. Why can't Android users get a reasonably sized (~4.5-4.8") high-end smartphone? I think that's something quite a few Android users would at least like to see as an option, as opposed to this relentless drive towards "biggar is bettar". It seems like in terms of form factor yesterdays phablet is today's flagship smartphone.

I completely disagree on the resolution argument. I actually like that Apple is displaying some restraint and not trying to engage in what has long since become a pointless resolution race in mobile devices. It looks like Apple is maintaining a good ~330 PPI on their upcoming 4.7" offering, which is good enough in my opinion. I would challenge anyone to distinguish differences in resolution once you get much beyond ~400 PPI. I think the S5 vs S5 LTE-A is a good example of this.

In terms of performance, again I don't think there's much catching up to do. Apple always slips behind as any one of their generations ages, but this is simply attributed to the fact that as a platform they bring FAR fewer devices to market than Android. The only way around this perceived performance 'droop' is for Apple to either open up their platform to other manufacturers, or shorten their generations. Basically I don't think performance has ever been a huge problem, it's always been either on par or ahead of other high-end offerings at launch, which is all you can really ask for. The CPU in the A7 is actually quite exceptional, even now.

Cons29

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
i can see it now, suddenly everything will be "magical" for apple
so much for the perfect size of 3.5inch
so now they will have another row of icons

CodeMatias

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
The new resolutions make zero sense from a development standpoint, especially considering how Apple OSes deal with piecewise hi-DPI components... Bitmaps will have to be redone to the new resolution and either make apps even bigger for everyone (you need 2 images per item rather than just one and resize down with little loss) or all old phones will have horrible looking graphics (due to non-power of 2 resize) AND larger files...

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

No idea why you got down voted. I'm all for a good looking screen but its not the resolution i.e. number of pixels as we simply can't see that resolution with our eyes. Things like OLED or color saturation etc but resolution any higher is pointless. These articles bring out the uninformed and youngsters

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
The larger screen is simply an un-Apple thing. If Steve Jobs is here, he will fire Tim Cook. But then again, if Tim will be succesful here, that would be good for Apple. They'll realize sooner that they should have done this a long time ago. Only serious problem they have right now, is the price.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Noooo Apple. Don't make your phone bigger. They mostly do this for the Asian market where size is everything, but even int eh west there's plenty of people who think bigger is better.
Why do people want these gigantic phones?

Steve Jobs is spinning in his grave.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
@ molo9000 - where have you been living? In a cave?? The vast majority of smart phone owners want larger screens. The primary reasons is that digital media content is becoming the norm and having a tiny screen does not allow for full immersion or usability. The 5-inch screen is quickly becoming the norm. Anything smaller is going the way of the Dodo bird. Apple knows this and that's why they are offering two sizes to better compete with their competitors. A recent poll conducted showed that 55% of former Apple smartphone owners switched to Android because of screen size! Apple's betting on getting that 55% back with the 5.5" iPhone 6 model. Only time will tell if the LG G3 and Note 4 are enough to keep the former Applites in the Android universe...

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Significant change to a beloved form factor might require a little try before you buy - I am sure there will be plenty of folks that have been waiting for an upgrade for some time, but a chunk of iPhone5 users who bought theirs at launch might wait until there are store demos to figure out which size is right for them. My biggest grievance against some Droid devices is that their screens make it annoying and difficult to carry the phone in your pocket which is where the vast majority of guys carry their phone. I guess we'll just have to wait for the announcement to see if Tim Cooke has decided to jump on the big phone band wagon - the 4.7" is probably going to be the one I go with. I like the form factor of my iPhone5 and I don't think I need a monsterous screen to browse on the go - I have a iPad mini for gaming and browsing when I am stuck somewhere for a bit

sicom

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Apple sticks with its Retina display (~300 dpi) because there's already been copious amounts of research that suggests it's impossible for the human eye to distinguish greater pixel density than that from a mere few inches away.

The 4K resolution phone displays are a marketing gimmick that are needlessly taxing your phone's processing hardware. The gimmick works (maybe) because 4K TV's are the new hype.

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
All I care about is this: Is the new screen actually scratch proof to a point where I no longer need to put a screen protector on, and never again see micro scratches from dust, etc.

If so, I'm buying one, the rest of the specs do not concern me I'm sure they're good enough.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I just can't see the general app-experience being good in a large screen iPhone (back -buttons in the top left corner for example), but I'm happy that iOS -users get more choice (just wished 4" would remain a choice as well).

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Apple sticks with its Retina display (~300 dpi) because there's already been copious amounts of research that suggests it's impossible for the human eye to distinguish greater pixel density than that from a mere few inches away.

The 4K resolution phone displays are a marketing gimmick that are needlessly taxing your phone's processing hardware. The gimmick works (maybe) because 4K TV's are the new hype.

Double posting here, but it's hardly impossible to see the difference, most people don't see the difference from about 30inches away, but some people use the phone from a smaller distance, and some just have excellent eyes. I do agree though, that pushing pointless pixels (like 1080p on less than 5" usually is) is something I could live without.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
@ ninjawithagun

That's just it; Both Apple and Tim Cook have publicly downplayed the importance of a bigger LCD screen and have said 3.7-inches is "just right" along with "anything bigger is just ridiculous". So not only are they doing a complete 180 on their part but they look silly trying to now catch up with the rest of the pack...

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Don't ever say anything positive about Apple on here... you'll just get flamed and trashed from the Android fanboy. Samsung sales are down 25%..why? Because they released a new Android device every other week. The Android market is WAY over-saturated and so fragmented. I like my cell phone to..you know..fit in my pocket and not look like a hub cap on my hip with the say the S5. You have to put the S5 in super duper, exceptional battery saving mode to have any change of making it a day with one charge. A quad HD display is stupid in a smartphone.

you don't know what you're talking about. It's the iphone which has insanely short battery life. I own one, i know. the 5s lasts like 4 hours with regular use (you can actually watch the % battery power drop if you're heavily using it)... even light use it will suck up most of it's charge in less then a business day

any of the high end high pixal display andriod phones out there simply destroy the iphone's battery life. I don't disagree with your premise... those huge resolutions do chew up battery life. However in practice, the larger batteries (larger phone) + better battery management in andriod don't even make it close.

There is a lot to like about the iphone... battery life however is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.