TheHazzaaHD

Estimable
May 14, 2014
Hello,
Which laptop would you recommend I purchase, based off what I'll use it for & my situation?

So I will be using this Laptop as a daily carry around for University whilst I'm studying Computer Science. I will also be running Linux on this machine for my programming assignments, but I also wan't the portability and performance. If I go with the Mac I will likely just use that OS.

I'm looking at the:
13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar at £1,574.10 (inc. student discount) - 256GB
The New Razer Blade 14" QHD+ at £1.947.50 (inc. student discount) - 256GB

I have a Computer at my University home but need a new GPU (currently 660Ti). However I'm hoping to do most of my work on a laptop.

The laptop will be used for, and needs to be:
Assignments - Programming
Occasional gaming
Portable & Thin
Powerful for the money

Please can you give me advice on which Laptop to purchase?

Thank you,
Harry.

Solution
There's no reason to get a mac if you're going to instantly put Linux on it tbh. With Macs, I'm always under the impression you're paying for the OS.

I'd get the Razer, if money isn't an issue. Have you ever considered a cheaper alternative, however?
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gs43vr-phantom-pro-069.html

Better specs (CPU is better), same size, slightly lighter than the razer... just to clarify, we're looking at this Razer right?
http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade#QHD+%20-%20256GB

The only thing that is "worse" is the fact that the Razer has 256GB ssd, while the MSI has 128GB SSD, but 1 TB HDD.

Little background:

I'm currently studying Cyber Security Engineering, and it is program/scripting intensive... and I tend to have...

InOrderToSignIn

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
There's no reason to get a mac if you're going to instantly put Linux on it tbh. With Macs, I'm always under the impression you're paying for the OS.

I'd get the Razer, if money isn't an issue. Have you ever considered a cheaper alternative, however?
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gs43vr-phantom-pro-069.html

Better specs (CPU is better), same size, slightly lighter than the razer... just to clarify, we're looking at this Razer right?
http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade#QHD+%20-%20256GB

The only thing that is "worse" is the fact that the Razer has 256GB ssd, while the MSI has 128GB SSD, but 1 TB HDD.

Little background:

I'm currently studying Cyber Security Engineering, and it is program/scripting intensive... and I tend to have a bunch of VMs and windows open, tasks running, scans running, etc. One thing I terribly regret is getting a 13" macbook. I wish I had gone with a 15.6 inch laptop, or maybe even a 17.3 inch laptop. Like you, I have a desktop in my dorm which I can do a lot of things... I'm also near a major city, and I like to study in said city. Having a mobile station with a lot of horsepower, and a decent screen space would be nice.

You may be in a different situation where you can just fall back on your desktop a lot, but I'm afraid I'm not. Anywho, just my two cents. I regret buying a weak, small screen laptop. You may be deadset on the 13-14 though, like I said... different situations. Not even sure if a computer science major runs into needing multiple tabs in view at the same time.

Edit: Should clarify, I would NOT consider the Razer and the MSI weak... that 1060 would be immensely useful. Just making sure you need a small screen like that, as it is one thing I regret.

Solution

TheHazzaaHD

Estimable
May 14, 2014

Yes, that is the Razer one I'm considering currently!

I wouldn't put Linux on the MacBook I don't think, as the OS alone would be fine. I'm just confused as to why the MacBook is priced as high as it is for the specifications you get.

Especially 2nd year at University I will be very reliant on my Laptop as I won't be close to the centre as I am currently, so an all round Laptop will be ideal I presume. All of my friends seem to be obsessed with MacBooks though, and I'm struggling to see why in comparison to Razer.

As for screen real estate I think 14" should be fine, as I tend to use only two tabs at maximum whilst programming/doing work. Although I do see where you're coming from regarding your course!

InOrderToSignIn

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Would agree with the whole macbook thing, I definitely regret it! I personally purchased a Macbook because it was the "craze"... big mistake. I would truly consider looking into the MSI, if you want to save $500. Might even find it cheaper elsewhere. I haven't looked at reviews and such, but it's got good specs and the same size/weight as the Razer. It also has more space, unless you want to up the drive in the Razer... adding to the cost.

Half the SSD space, but 1TB makes up for that imho. Can put the OS and a few intensive programs (if your major requires them) on the SSD as well. But have a bunch of space for everything else you need.